What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In need of some comfort seafood...of course most of what we get here is frozen other than trout and salmon (sigh)

New favourite (cheap) chowder recipe though!
Poach frozen scallops, shrimp and cod in white wine and tarragon wine vinegar
Sautee onions, carrots and garlic in butter with tarragon, hot peppers, s&p, & smoked paprika. Add cubed potatoes and chicken stock. Simmer till tender, add wine broth from seafood and blend with my new hand blender till super smooth.

Toss in more potatoes, carrots, and onions, simmer until soft, add seafood and eat!

Omnomnomnom, so good!!

you mean that there are no live lobsters for you to convict and put to death?

:)

seriously, i went for a lobster dinner yesterday. it was heavenly. one of the best i ever had.

Grilled Tuscan Rubbed Pork Tenderloin, Oven Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Caprese Salad. I used a new Smith's (Kroger) Private Selection balsamic reduction in a cool little squirt bottle. That stuff will stick to anything!

Now I wonder if I can find a decent wine to pair with this.......... :)

IMG_0971.jpg

It's Fryday and pizzas and stromboli here too! Just haven't retrieved my camera w/tandoori chicken images from Super Bowl Sunday at my brothers, so no images. Hard to get over there, it's a whole mile away.

FYI, they all look very good, but Paul, that one looks like it goes with the videos on Tuscany I've been watching. Nice earthy veges.

My wife and I will be married 11 years as of the 26th. Next weekend did not work for the grandparents, so the kids went down there this weekend. We are hanging out in the peace and quiet of a kid free home, cooking way too much good food, and having fun doing kid-free things. We went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 4 lb ribeye roast that I cut into four 1 lb steaks.

IMG_20160219_210534428_HDR.jpg

After an overnight marinade ...

IMG_20160220_100816528.jpg

They went into a vacuum pack and into the sous-vide at 131 degrees for an hour and a half.

IMG_20160220_100912355_HDR.jpg

Paired with french fries, veggies, and a little wine.

IMG_20160220_120128527.jpg
IMG_20160220_120134030_HDR.jpg:HB

Why would you go to a steakhouse when you can eat like this at home?

:h

I started my Brisket on Thursday night not know if I was going to start smoking it on Friday night or Saturday morning. I smothered the entire brisket with yellow mustard, ground black pepper and Montreal steak seasoning. Then I put a heavy coat of brown sugar on it on all sides, then wrapped it up in saran wrap. I decided to put it in the smoker this morning at 5:30 am using pecan and apple chips. It finally reached 190° at 5 pm when I pulled it out, wrapped it in foil and towels for one hour. It was totally awesome and you could cut it with a fork.

001.jpg

002.jpg

I had bought supplies to make a nice mushroom/lamb stew today. And so I did. It was a lovely lamb shoulder+riblets, cooked w/ bacon, mushrooms (button, crimini, shitake, and porcini), carrots, onions, garlic, sherry, beef stock... However, I decided to save it for tomorrow. Today, the weather was beautiful, whereas tomorrow, it will turn nasty again. I decided to fire up the grill today for the first time this year! Tomorrow, I will be happy to have a day-old stew.

Moreover, I had a STEAK to cook. Not just any steak. A brand-new, mega/foodie-grocery store opened in my neighborhood. They tore down the old 1950s store, and built a 86,000 sq ft (!) store. (This is about 2x the median size of grocery stores today.) It has 2 levels, prepared foods, a wine bar, a beer bar, a raw bar, a BBQ station, a pizza station, and, oh yeah, groceries, too. ;) The point is, that they had some loss leaders on sale during the grand opening. I got a NY strip steak for $5/lb. This is JohnT, fall-off-the-back-of-the-truck territory, don't you think? A full 1.5" thick, 1.25 lb steak set me back all of $6.25. Dry-brined it, seasoned (ground fennel, garlic, salt, pepper), and grilled on the season's first BBQ. I was a little off on temperature; it came out rare (~122F) rather than the desired medium rare (~128-130F), but do you hear me complaining? (A: NO!) I don't have "after" pix, but here are the befores:

steak2.jpg

steak1.jpg

Finding Mathematics in your Vegetables.

So we got a head of Romanesco Broccoli in our Harvest Box delivery this week! Very amazing looking veggie. While it is called broccoli, it is not, its cauliflower! It is a "fractal" of sorts with the number of buds being determined by the Fibonacci sequence. So what to do with a whole head of Cauliflower on a Saturday night, why not turn it into..... Baked Vegetarian Buffalo Cauliflower "wings"! Turned out delish and the whole head dissapeared in a matter of a few minutes with the help of some friends who stopped by after a late afternoon hike.

IMG_0961.jpg

Baked-Buffalo-Cauliflower-Bites.jpg

Latest posts

Back