What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, had a nice dinner tonight. Today was my birthday, so I decided I wanted to cook something decadent and delectable for dinner. I decided on a kind of surf & turf. I had a grass-fed ribeye steak from a local farm in the freezer. From the local indie grocer, I got a salmon steak (that is, a 1.5"-thick cross-wise slice through the whole fish). I grilled both of these on a smoking hot grill. To (literally) top this off, I made a béarnaise sauce. This was the first béarnaise sauce I have made (although it is not that different than a hollandaise sauce, which I have made before.) However, I made this the "modern" way -- put the egg yolks in a blender, and add the butter to it while pulsing the blender. Much easier than whisking. It came out from the blender a bit thin, but I heated it on the stovetop to about 150F, and it thickened up immensely. Still, it takes some care to get it right!! My wife made roasted artichoke, and also roasted carrots with a garlic/ginger/scallions salsa that was better than everything else!! This was all very heavenly.

Sounds great. Happy Birthday!

Happy b-day Paul. Many more. Many great people were born in October, you and I were two of them. In celebration of your birthday I willed the Eagles to actually play a whole game.

The celebratory dinner included a kid favorite, Chicken wings. some with buffalo wing sauce, the others with a Texas bbq sauce recipe my Mom received when in the Air Force at Lackland AFB in San Antonio.

10-11-15_wings.jpg

Thank you all for the birthday greetings. We had a really nice day, especially capped off with that decadent dinner. Worked my a$$ off today on house chores, then went to a friend's house for a yummy chicken curry dinner.

@Steve_M, I think I prefer your surf and turf to mine. That looks heavenly. If only you worked béarnaise sauce into it, it would be perfect! :D

Looks definitely good enough to eat Craig! What was the BBQ sauce from TX?

Two large onions peeled and cut thick, two lemons cut thick, rind and all, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar (I usually use cider), 2 TBS prepared mustard (usually ball park yellow) and 1/4 cup butter (can omit to reduce fat calories), 1 tsp ground pepper, 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, then add 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup Heinz ketchup. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and cool.

That was from memory since I'm at work, will update amounts if I was wrong or forgot something after I get home tonight.

Tonight we had some friends over who never had lobster so.....
View attachment 25191

That was the first course.

View attachment 25192
Smoked brisket, rub was salt, pepper, chipotle, chili powder and a touch of Old Bay. Apple wood provided the smoke 8.5 hours on the Weber.

Steve

How many pounds was that brisket? It looks fantastic. I have been wanting to try a brisket on my Weber but have stuck to mostly spares and baby backs.

Hey Steve- how many pounds was that brisket? It looks fantastic. I have been wanting to do a brisket on my Weber but have stuck to mostly spares and baby backs.

Looking good Steve! You had better have something to pair with those! :)

Mike,
We had s bottle of Cabarel I don't know what blend it consists of but was loaded with fruit and went perfectly with the brisket
ImageUploadedByWine Making1444690261.952029.jpg

Hey Steve- how many pounds was that brisket? It looks fantastic. I have been wanting to do a brisket on my Weber but have stuck to mostly spares and baby backs.

Matty,
This was not the full packer which normally would come in around 11 lbs. or more. This was the flat weighed in at 7.5 lbs. I cranked the smoker up at about 6:30 a.m. and had the brisket on by 7:15. Took it off at around 4:00 p.m. and let it sit in a makeshift cambro for another hour or so.

Steve

@Steve_M, I think I prefer your surf and turf to mine. That looks heavenly. If only you worked béarnaise sauce into it, it would be perfect! :D

Paul,
I have never made a béarnaise sauce! Now I am going to have to give that a try for sure.

Steve

Not dinner but desert. Made two pumpkin pies and an apple one too. We have a group that meets every 2nd Tuesday and it is my turn to bring the food and run the video. Also made an extra pumpkin pie to take to work per popular request. We usually have more goodies at work but it has dropped off lately, think everyone is in reduced calorie mode to make room for the holiday eating binge.

10-12-15_pumpkin-pie.jpg

10-12-15_apple-pie.jpg

Sunday sauce

Last Saturday, I had a friend over to cook and just hang out. We first ran to the local "Bottle King" for a couple of cases of good stuff.

When we got back, we pulled a cork and set to work making her "Sunday Sauce". This has a full rack of ribs, hot sausage, and really nice meatballs all simmered together for 3.5 hours! Served over rigatoni and some of the spoils from bottle king... YUM!

I also made 3 loaves of home made (from scratch) whole wheat bread (50% bread flour, 50% whole wheat flour, salt, and yeast bloomed in 1.24 cups of water (with a tsp of sugar added)

Dessert was strawberry shortcake. Nice and light!

Picture below of the sauce, bread, and some of the wines we polished off....

For Sunday, I just made a simple roast chicken...

IMG_20151010_184345_914.jpg

IMG_20151010_184404_320.jpg

IMG_20151010_152531_334.jpg

IMG_20151010_172827_323.jpg

IMG_20151010_191934_363.jpg

Back