What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to guess that this was about 2 hours to get it in my mouth. The wontons take some time to wrap, but it is so worth it. If you want to up your wonton game give this recipe a try. It is like nothing you have ever had before.

Usually I put some work into my soup base, but this one has all the effort in the wonton flavor. The onions and garlic are fried in a tone of oil, and the aromatics, anise, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves turn it into the most magical thing. I also use chinese fire oil, but the brilliance that comes from adding the oil back to your finished soup is what makes this so unique and unbelievably good.

The link has the recipe and video which is worth a watch even if you don't want to make it.

https://curatedkitchenware.com/blog...n-wonton-soup?_pos=4&_psq=wonton&_ss=e&_v=1.0soup.jpg
soup1.jpgsoup2.jpgsoup3.jpgsoup4.jpg

I served it like a pho for dinner last night, with rice noodles to add mike substance. It didn't need it. This is a hearty soup. I did serve some deep fried as well.
wonton.jpg

Mrs. WM81 and I have had leftover for dinner the last few nights, and asked what I was making fresh to tonight. I neglected to tell her ... filet, mashed potatoes, and spaghetti squash.

View attachment 109505
If you've never done it and I don't know whether you have or haven't try garlic mashed potatoes:

For you and your wife:

the amount of potatoes that you like to use

3 garlic cloves through a garlic press

seasoning salt ( I like Lawrey's)

I boil them for ten minutes and mash them with butter and then add cream and re-mash with a potato masher

This is my wife's favourite mashed potato recipe. She asks for it all of the time because she loves garlic.

You and your wife may or may not like it.

You are a blessing to this website:

very intense, dedicated and empathetic to anyone who is stressed wrt winemaking.

Good on you pal.

I added half a dozen cloves of garlic while boiling the potatoes, and mashed it with the potatoes. Not enough garlic for our likes, but a start.
You probably know this but .... the longer you cook garlic, the less zing you get from it. I always add my garlic during the last minute or two.

Fontana pizza crust with beer (Beer Pizza Dough ) that @Mcjeff mentioned last summer. .... nice crust - light and airy. I was wanting a thin crust, but this rose too much in the oven. Should have let the second rise go a lot longer. But still, the crust was really good! 10 minutes at 500°.
1705753142845.png
1705753208226.png

Last edited:
You probably know this but .... the longer you cook garlic, the less zing you get from it. I always add my garlic during the last minute or two.
Yup. After I threw the garlic in, I realized my mistake.

For lunch I made potato pancakes (leftover mashed potatoes, egg, bit of flour to bind it) and the garlic flavor was more pronounced. Mrs. WM81 loves garlic, so we'll play more in this arena. She's developed a sensitivity to black pepper (bothers her stomach) so I'm looking at different ideas to add flavor that she can tolerate.

If you've never done it and I don't know whether you have or haven't try garlic mashed potatoes:

For you and your wife:

the amount of potatoes that you like to use

3 garlic cloves through a garlic press

seasoning salt ( I like Lawrey's)

I boil them for ten minutes and mash them with butter and then add cream and re-mash with a potato masher

This is my wife's favourite mashed potato recipe. She asks for it all of the time because she loves garlic.

You and your wife may or may not like it.

You are a blessing to this website:

very intense, dedicated and empathetic to anyone who is stressed wrt winemaking.

Good on you pal.

I like to just squeeze some oven roasted garlic into the mix.

Fontana pizza crust with beer (Beer Pizza Dough ) that @Mcjeff mentioned last summer. .... nice crust - light and airy. I was wanting a thin crust, but this rose too much in the oven. Should have let the second rise go a lot longer. But still, the crust was really good! 10 minutes at 500°.
View attachment 109509
View attachment 109510
I musta missed the conversation. I am going to try this dough next time around. The beer is very intriguing.

Thanks for the share!

Ribs for dinner tonight. Rub is my nemesis, I feel like I am always making it. When I saw a giant container of paprika at Costco, I knew what I had to do. I don't have a recipe, I just dump stuff in.

I start with paprika and brown sugar, then a bit of this and that.
rub1.jpg
Then a bit more of everything until it tastes familiar.
rub2.jpg
Both of these containers were $14. They are not equal in the slightest. The Hungarian sweet paprika has way more flavor. I have not tried the paprika chicken yet, but I am looking forward to trying it with some quality paprika.
rub.jpg

I made a terrible error of judgement. These ribs were on for $7 a package. I bought a few, but I should have bought 20. Couldn't even get them off the bbq in one piece.

I roasted them and finished on the bbq. Cooked a pineapple up in the pan with them and it was a great side. The bok choy was sauteed with a peanut butter sriracha sauce. It was notably Asian as a side to ribs, but it was seriously good. Served with corn and fancy rice.

ribs.jpgribs1.jpgribs3.jpgribs2.jpgribs4.jpg

Back