What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fine Idea! @sour_grapes!! Suggestions?

So, true confessions, I have never made stuffed artichokes!

I make them only roughly 3 ways:
(1) I usually cut them in half, scoop the choke out with a spoon*, douse with lemon juice and EVOO, put face-down in a roasting pan lined and covered with foil, roast them at 350-400F for an hour and a quarter or so.

(2) steam and/or boil them for ~1/2 hour.

(3) For faster results, prep as in (1). Then pressure cook (10') or steam (20'), and then roast as in (1), but for 1/2 hour.

In all cases, serve with some dipping sauce, generally including lemon and butter, and often butter, herbs, etc. Someone mentioned Hollandaise upthread, which is even better.

*Spoon: If you can find a cheap stamped tablespoon, that is best. It will be thin enough to act like a knife. You attack the border between the choke and the heart, and you can usually separate them pretty easily with a thin spoon.

So, true confessions, I have never made stuffed artichokes!

I make them only roughly 3 ways:
(1) I usually cut them in half, scoop the choke out with a spoon*, douse with lemon juice and EVOO, put face-down in a roasting pan lined and covered with foil, roast them at 350-400F for an hour and a quarter or so.

(2) steam and/or boil them for ~1/2 hour.

(3) For faster results, prep as in (1). Then pressure cook (10') or steam (20'), and then roast as in (1), but for 1/2 hour.

In all cases, serve with some dipping sauce, generally including lemon and butter, and often butter, herbs, etc. Someone mentioned Hollandaise upthread, which is even better.

*Spoon: If you can find a cheap stamped tablespoon, that is best. It will be thin enough to act like a knife. You attack the border between the choke and the heart, and you can usually separate them pretty easily with a thin spoon.
[/QUOTE/]

They got stuffed this round. Pretty damn tasty. 30 minutes steam and a quick shot in the ovenIMG_20220416_202911.jpg

Last edited:
Not dinner, yet!

The other day I pulled a steak out that was aged 25 days like these. It was night and day to the butcher wrapped steaks. VERY tender, and way more flavour. Some of you may have noticed I struggle with moderation. This was my reaction. Age everything! Haha

These are going to get at least a month in the fridge. I have some roasts and steaks still going from the first round that I am going to spread out over the next month and pull some out to the 60 day range to see where the sweet spot is.
IMG_20220417_132905.jpg

Happy Easter everyone!

Day started out great, then a stiff wind ruined things. Wind died down, and after seeing @Boatboy24 's post, had to try it, after wifey approval. 6+ lb ham butt portion. Put on the Weber kettle grill and let it rip for a few hours @ 400*F. Just charcoal, might have been a few charred remnants of apple wood from an earlier cook.

Glazed with a mix of crushed pineapple, tart cherry juice, light brown sugar, dijon mustard and some Wild Turkey bourbon.

Turned out pretty well, will have to try again when I'm allowed to make ham (for the most part the younger generation 'round here doesn't dig ham).

4-17-22_ham-1.jpg

4-17-22_ham-2.jpg

4-17-22_ham-3.jpg

4-17-22_ham-4.jpg

Not dinner, yet!

The other day I pulled a steak out that was aged 25 days like these. It was night and day to the butcher wrapped steaks. VERY tender, and way more flavour. Some of you may have noticed I struggle with moderation. This was my reaction. Age everything! Haha

These are going to get at least a month in the fridge. I have some roasts and steaks still going from the first round that I am going to spread out over the next month and pull some out to the 60 day range to see where the sweet spot is.
View attachment 87177

Many experts say that dry aging steaks is the way to go as it is MUCH better and tender.
Never tried though…

Many experts say that dry aging steaks is the way to go as it is MUCH better and tender.
Never tried though…

What I am doing is considered wet ageing. It is an amazing cheat. I would dry age if I could, but it requires more specific temperatures, and humidity control. You also get considerable loss due to drying and trimming. With this method you literally vacuum seal and leave it for any desired amount of time. Within the first month you get a notable amount of tenderness. Beyond that you get flavour changes, all the way to blue cheesy around the 60 day mark. I've had 60 day wet aged and it was notably blue, but I'v never tried my own. I'm excited to see what I get. I was already noting some interesting flavour changes at 25 days.

This is the second bison half I've done. Often I do the steaks wrapped in bacon and you can get anywhere from firm but tender, to firm but not great, never fall apart and rarely that beefy juicy tender rib cut that I love. The aged ribeye I just did was more like that tender pull apart beef cut I dream about, but can never have..

Bison is the only red meat I can eat without an allergic reaction. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back