What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mixed up a Greek inspired marinade late in the game today - only had about 90 minutes in the marinade, but it turned out well. Olive oil, lots of garlic, oregano, lemon juice and zest, S&P and a touch of dijon mustard, just to make it interesting. 'Tater slices in lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, oregano, and a little chicken stock were done in the oven. To keep it Mediterranean, but mix it up a bit, we threw in a Caesar salad. Great meal and we're looking forward to the leftovers.

1598749400513.jpeg

1598749424992.jpeg

1598749439514.jpeg

Started the night with a Makers 46 Old Fashioned, but switched to Blanc de Noir for dinner.

1598749519397.jpeg

Our local store had some really nice sides of salmon yesterday, ended up cutting into 4 pieces about 1lb ea., cooked one and froze 3 for later. Home made Ciabatta and roasted butternut squash. 2017 Lodi Cabernet that is really nice now. I got too eager to eat and forgot to take a pic of the finished meal.
IMG_8088.jpegIMG_8091.jpegIMG_8093.jpeg

We enjoyed some grilled outside skirt steak, then doused with Brazilian garlic butter with fresh oregano and parsley; mushroom caps (soy, sesame oil, EVOO); corn-off-the-cob with cilantro, ancho chili powder, and lemon juice; baba ganoush from Mrs. S_G (tahini, garlic, etc.); leftover braised Swiss chard; and leftover carrot/cabbage slaw with ho-made preserved lemons.

Washed down with my 2017 H3 Syrah from grapes.

IMG_1899.jpegIMG_1901.jpegIMG_1905.jpeg

One of our favorite ways to prepare chicken is an agglomeration of chicken marsala, chicken piccata and breaded chicken. Today, I had two small breasts which I pounded to about 1/2" thickness, dredged in seasoned flour (flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder), dipped in beaten egg and coated with a breading mixture of Italian and Panko breadcrumbs and corn meal. A quick browning in olive oil and into a baking dish. De-glazed the frying pant with wine (a homemade Vin Santo) and lemon juice, reduced over medium heat and poured the liquid over the browned cutlets, covered with Al foil and baked for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees F. Here are pictures of "after browning" and "after baking."

100_1573.JPG100_1574.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
One of our favorite ways to prepare chicken is an agglomeration of chicken marsala, chicken piccata and breaded chicken. Today, I had two small breasts which I pounded to about 1/2" thickness, dredged in seasoned flour (flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder), dipped in beaten egg and coated with a breading mixture of Italian and Panko breadcrumbs and corn meal. A quick browning in olive oil and into a baking dish. De-glazed the frying pant with wine (a homemade Vin Santo) and lemon juice, reduced over medium heat and poured the liquid over the browned cutlets, covered with Al foil and baked for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees F. Here are pictures of "after browning" and "after baking."

View attachment 65340View attachment 65341

That sounds delicious!

Added it to the menu for this week!🐓

Taco night last night. Used a previously purchased piece of 'flap meat' from Costco that was seasoned with S&P, oregano, chili powder and cumin, then vac sealed and frozen. I dropped it in the hot tub at 131F for about two and a half hours, then seared on the Genesis - too lazy to start a charcoal fire. Assembled with some crema, romaine, the steak (of course) salsa, pickled red onion and jalapeno and finally some Cotija cheese.

1598913312060.jpeg

1598913361340.jpeg

1598913383423.jpeg

1598913397327.jpeg

1598913413094.jpeg

Taco night last night. Used a previously purchased piece of 'flap meat' from Costco that was seasoned with S&P, oregano, chili powder and cumin, then vac sealed and frozen. I dropped it in the hot tub at 131F for about two and a half hours, then seared on the Genesis - too lazy to start a charcoal fire. Assembled with some crema, romaine, the steak (of course) salsa, pickled red onion and jalapeno and finally some Cotija cheese.

View attachment 65353

View attachment 65354

View attachment 65355

View attachment 65356

View attachment 65357

That meat would never have made it into a taco shell in this house! It would be long gone in a flash! :HB

Tried this tonight. Came out great - very flavorful and tender!

Weather concerns had me firing up the Genesis tonight. Storms all around and I knew if I started a chimney on the Performer, the skies would open up. Since I cooked on the gasser, we didn't see more than a few drops, but had thunder and lightning all around. I bought some pre-marinated Peruvian chicken from Wegmans and made a modified "Solterito", along with some "Peruvian" potatoes. The recipe called for purple Peruvian potatoes, but I had Russets. Mixed up a combo of EVOO, minced garlic, S&P, cumin and for something different, a little smoked paprika. In the oven for about 35 minutes at 400f. Meanwhile, I got a couple thighs on the Genny and made the salad. Also whipped up a 'green sauce'. In the end, it was enjoyed by all and I think all of us are looking forward to leftovers. The salad in particular was very good - sweet from the corn and cherry tomato, salty from the olives and Cotija cheese and some acid from the vinegar - I'll add a little lime juice next time I make it, but this had a great flavor profile. Genesis ran about 400f for the chicken - thighs done indirect most of the time (one burner not lit) and put directly over the burner to brown up at the end. Boneless breasts were a combo of direct and indirect. Recipe for the salad below - try it now, while the produce is still near peak.

Chicken about 5 minutes from being done:

1599183275399.jpeg

Plated up with the salad and potatoes.

1599183296460.jpeg

Oops! Almost forgot the green sauce for the chicken and 'taters

1599183328895.jpeg

Here's the recipe for the Solterito:

Solterito (Peruvian Chopped Salad) Recipe

pamelasalzman.com
pamelasalzman.com

Back