What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One good thing is that you can let that bad boy hang out for quite a few hours in a cooler to rest. I guess I can do that to a point with the butt. Up to 144*F on the butt, had a call from the MIL asking what to bring. By the time the call was over I looked at my phone and the inkbird said the fire was down to 205*F, ran up and added some lump. Back up into the 250's now where I'll try and keep it. Also, the radar went from clean (actually very bright blue skies here which surprised me with the humidity) to a bunch of popcorn small storms, one that just missed us (I actually felt a little drizzle on my head).

I only have white butcher paper, the supply store was out of it unless I wanted to buy $60 worth. I'll use foil to collect the fat from this cook.

Also, I just noticed from an earlier image that your prime brisket was only $2.99 a pound. I pay $3.99 for just a run of the mill type, that's a great price! Assuming you cut that one in half it was so big.

Costco sells the untrimmed Prime for somewhere between $2.99 and $3.99 depending on location. They usually have quite a few different sized ones from ~11.5 to 18lb in the whole packers. I am always looking for the smaller sized ones. Amazon is your friend for the pink butcher paper. 175' roll for $19.

Remember the stall...

My boston butt is at 131. I've let the temps drop down a bit since I don't have to pull it to rest for another 6 hours. I have the variable of T-storms, if they form, so I might have to take mine into the indoor oven if they get bad. At this point I think I could finish the pork without additional heat it's so hot outside.

At that temp, you haven’t been through the “stall” yet, don’t mess around too much.....

Got up early and injected and vacuum sealed two monster butts for the fishing trip cook tomorrow. Big jar of Butt Rub awaits them before entering the smoker.
092A78FE-5E7D-4187-A37F-B423423483D5.jpeg

Turned attention to dinner, four prime ribeyes seasoned with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic, and a sprig of rosemary. Got em bathing in the sous vide til dinner, when they’ll get seared just before serving.
7863899E-17BE-4B7D-95EA-5988BA35A1B6.jpeg

At that temp, you haven’t been through the “stall” yet, don’t mess around too much.....
Yeah I know...I was just timing it to pull around 5 pm, which I pretty much did (4:45). I'm pretty good about ramping it up a bit when it hits about 155 and it's usually smooth sailing to 205*F or so. The only really bad stalls I ever had were with a brisket that I wasn't watching my fire temps really close. If you loose momentum just before 160 or so you can usually depend on a long stall. This cook went well with no stall at all. Fortunately we got some drizzle and that was about it, storms to the left, storms to the right, but no direct hit.

Went to pull the smoker into the garage this morning and the fire box was still pretty warm, so I left it out hoping I can get home before the next batch of storms starts up this afternoon. If it gets wet I'll use it as an opportunity to wipe it down, possibly oil the outside a bit and crank it back up with a brisket that is hopefully on sale since the 4th has passed (may drop by my local Wegmans, they've been known to have good deals after a holiday).

I was going to also ask that question, since he is vegetarian I was wondering if that's sort of like eggplant of some sorts mixed with something...interested to know.

Ended up doing about 20 hot dogs, 15 burgers, a whole, cut up chicken and several BSB's. Not much in the way of leftovers, so I guess it was OK.

I'm not sure Walmart understands how pellet grills work..........

66338427_3016297815064070_7285389291461541888_n.jpg

Friday, pizza night. Normal pizzas all around. Mine was a red onion, green pepper and anchovie pizza. Forgot to make the sauce so rushed it a bit. Cento crushed tomatoes with some italian spice, garlic and kosher salt. Cooled it off in a water bath in the sink, otherwise the hot sauce makes the dough puff up prematurely. Perfect inside meal since a pesky T-storm hung around and wouldn't leave for two hours. We did need the rain, just not a weeks worth in a few hours. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

7-5-19_pizza.jpg

Latest posts

Back