What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and kids will be gone for dinner so I'm bach-ing it. Stopped by Wegmans and found a nice Choice Angus NY Strip that looked much better than the Prime it was sitting next to. I hit it with some Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express rub and threw it into the SV bath. I'll sear it later on the afterburner (Weber chimney full of charcoal w/ a grill grate on top. That, a nice Caesar salad and some Indian Wells Cab should do just fine on this February day.

Last edited:
Hit another homer tonight. SRF gold Wagyu 10 oz. filets, sous vide for 6 hours at 115 F, seared on a glowing grill for a couple minutes. Potatoes au gratin for me, plus some green beans and a little leftover shrimp pasta for wife and I. Gotta say, the SRF Wagyu, so far, has been exceptional and has exceeded my expectations. Haven’t tried any cuts other than the cap steak and the filet, it’s all I ordered. Only complaint is having to vacuum seal the meat halfway through, both times, due to leaking vacuum packaging. Won’t make that mistake again.
AAF9A37D-92C3-41AD-9553-213D643080E7.jpeg 6440D04B-0F11-4643-9F6A-4E75514098EE.jpeg

Those look fantastic, @Johnd . But I can't imagine a SRF filet would need any SV at all. Have you tried them without?

Those look fantastic, @Johnd . But I can't imagine a SRF filet would need any SV at all. Have you tried them without?

Nope, first two I’ve done. Don’t really expect to increase the tenderness, just ease the cooking process and yield my idea of the perfectly done steak. I’m sure I’ll cook em conventionally at some point.

I updated post 6678 after it was prepared, complete with photos. I can elaborate if you like.....

Nope, no need now. I took a look at that post after you let me know. I generally just look at new posts, and am not in the habit of reviewing older posts for changes, so I did not see your update. It looks really lovely! Wish I had been there....

Raided the freezer today and found a WooHoo priced Pork Carnitas (slow cooker). This stuff is amazing and can be used for so many dishes. Always a winner around here. Served with Borracho beans on the side.

img_3767-jpg.52081

Had bought an Australian Filet Roast (a bit over 5 lbs) when on sale a week or so ago at $5.99 lb. Noticed that the sell by date was today, so opened 'er up, removed a bunch of silver skin. Was in pretty good shape so cut it in half. Froze one 2.75 lb roast (thicker end) and used some butcher twine to make a decently thick roast out of the thin end. Cooked it on some charcoal, served with cheesy potatoes and some over steamed broccoli. Turned out nice and tender, though the one end was pretty well done (nearing 140*F). Yum!

2-26-19_filet-1.jpg

2-26-19_filet-2.jpg

16lber is on since 6:30AM. Set up the Pit Boss Kamado the night before (just had to fire up the torch) and trimmed the brisket and rubbed it with S&P as well so just had to throw it on. Started out at 275F since it was 24F this AM but will crank it back here shortly. The new ink bird is working like a champ with 2 probes. One in the Point and one in the Flat. BBQ Guru is doing its thing holding the temps.......

IMG_3972.JPG

16lber is on since 6:30AM. Set up the Pit Boss Kamado the night before (just had to fire up the torch) and trimmed the brisket and rubbed it with S&P as well so just had to throw it on. Started out at 275F since it was 24F this AM but will crank it back here shortly. The new ink bird is working like a champ with 2 probes. One in the Point and one in the Flat. BBQ Guru is doing its thing holding the temps.......

View attachment 53604

That's already looking yummy..!!
How much is that running for at Costco? This may be my next 'project' ... lol

Usually $2.99 to $3.29lb these days and that is for PRIME Brisket. It does need trimming so you will lose about a pound (+/-) to fat. Still a heck of a deal compared to my local Smith's (Kroger) who never puts Brisket on sale and they want $5.49lb for choice.

How much is that running for at Costco? This may be my next 'project' ... lol

Back