What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics, but yesterday I took a ~2.25lb Angus tri tip and rubbed it with cumin and oregano. The hit it with some Peruvian marinade and vacuum sealed it. Today, threw it in the sous vide for 3 hours, then seared it over lump charcoal and some spent wine oak cubes. Taco night!

This was actually posted by @RadRob last night but was accidentally posted as a quote instead of a new response.

I tried my hand at pizza tonight. It wasn't bad considering I messed up the dough but it's so much better than store bought pizza.

This was a little work getting everything ready and playing with the oven from bake to broil.

Here's some pics of the four I made tonight.
100-3288.jpg

100-3308.jpg

BONUS!!! The GE gas range cranks to 550F!!!!
100-3291.jpg

100-3292.jpg

100-3293.jpg

100-3294.jpg

100-3295.jpg

100-3296.jpg

100-3298.jpg

100-3299.jpg

100-3300.jpg

100-3301.jpg

100-3302.jpg

100-3303.jpg

100-3304.jpg

100-3305.jpg

100-3306.jpg

The food quest never ends!!!

It should have been approved instead I think it was removed from public view and I can't seem to undo that. Its a SPAM thing on new forum members. Nothing was wrong obviously with the post.

Those pizzas look amazing!

I wondered what happen to my post. I saw a message about a moderator approval or something like that.

All this fantastic food that I can't eat a large chunk of, I am always suprised at what you guys cook.

Mid 40's and rainy all day. Got me craving some comfort food. I have a 7lb chicken roasting in the oven and will serve it up with some brown and wild rice and green beans. Ho-made gravy, of course.

Mid 40's and rainy all day. Got me craving some comfort food. I have a 7lb chicken roasting in the oven and will serve it up with some brown and wild rice and green beans. Ho-made gravy, of course.
Yeah, had the same craving (for comfort food that is) so picked up a cheap Giant brand 5 lb ham shank I'll make tomorrow. Gonna be real windy so I deferred my grill session until Sunday, still don't know what I'm grilling, will have to go hunt and gather tomorrow. Running the ceramic topped stove always makes the kitchen the best place to hang out on cold days. Plan on doing some wine making chores while my wife and daughter visit a local college for an open house (she's been accepted there for next Fall, so she's trying to visit her top choices and figure out where she wants to study).

Tonight, pizza night. Had mixed up 1 1/2 pizza doughs on Wednesday evening. Recipe calls for up to a 72 hour rest in the fridge. Tried 48 hours this go around and must say that it's the closest I've come to a crust, taste and texture wise, that mimics an authentic pizzeria's pie. Cooked the pizzas on a warmed stone @ 425*F, so may up that to 475 to 500 next go round. The only one pictured is my favorite pizza, green pepper, onion and anchovy with some freshly grated Romano cheese as the first layer on top of the sauce (under the moz). It was really good! Served with a cold cheap domestic beer(s).

11-9-18_pizza.jpg

Awesome food guys!!!

We finally had a cold front worth calling a cold front so I planned ahead for tonight. Although I can eat this in 100° weather.

SHOYU RAMEN

Not really but close enough and I had to throw my touch in it. The broth was seasoned with beef Pho paste, garlic, ginger, onions and chicken powder. I added other seasonings along the way to get the taste I wanted.

I started last night and made a big batch for future meals.
pork hocks and neck bones to start, This is after they simmered for a few hours.

100-3345-Copy.jpg

I also added some tripe. I had to try it at least once after watching Mark Weins videos.
100-3346-Copy.jpg

Cleaned the meat off the bones and simmered again.
100-3347.jpg

After they cooled I put them in containers in the fridge and here's when I start to cook. I scraped the fat off and it's pure gelatin pork broth goodness.
100-3348.jpg

100-3349.jpg

100-3350.jpg

First bowl of happiness.
100-3351.jpg

I forgot to add the shrooms so here we go again.
100-3352.jpg

Finally time to make a bowl. It doesn't look like it but I also made a tare sauce and soaked the egg in it, that color will come later.
100-3353.jpg

Pure pork flavor from pig skin, tendons, meat and bone broth with a little tripe.
100-3354.jpg

Blanched bean sprouts, chilled onions, green onions and cilantro.
100-3355.jpg

Hoisin sauce, 6 minute egg and Sriracha.
100-3356.jpg

This was worth all the trouble, it was slurping good!!
100-3358.jpg

Last edited:
Same flour you normally use or something different? Which yeast do you use? Now that the weather is getting cold the thought of heating up the oven sounds good once again! LOL

Y
Tonight, pizza night. Had mixed up 1 1/2 pizza doughs on Wednesday evening. Recipe calls for up to a 72 hour rest in the fridge. Tried 48 hours this go around and must say that it's the closest I've come to a crust, taste and texture wise, that mimics an authentic pizzeria's pie.

Looks way better than my go to "Pho" from Costco! LOL

iipsrv.fcgi

Awesome food guys!!!
We finally had a cold front worth calling a cold front so I planned ahead for tonight. Although I can eat this in 100° weather.
SHOYU RAMEN
Not really but close enough and I had to throw my touch in it. The broth was seasoned with beef Pho paste, garlic, ginger, onions and chicken powder. I added other seasonings along the way to get the taste I wanted.

I have some pork chops the wife bought at a local store on sale. I sprinkled some lime juice and seasoned, left in container for later.
They are not the thick chops you buy at Costco but thinner cuts, a bit less than 1".
Planing to reverse sear in the webber until around 140F and then flash sear for 2 mins each side on direct flame.

Any tips? I want to make sure they don't get too dry but want to cook them right.

Latest posts

Back