What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been negligent in posting lately. I pulled all my peppers from the garden a couple weeks ago. Here are my cayenne and habaneros beginning their journey to the sauce bottle.

IMG_4308.jpg

In SA visiting my Mom and daughter who lives here as well. Made a Costco run and picked up some of the Costco Salmon with Basil Pesto Butter. Paired really well with a 90pts WS New Zealand Seaside Cellars Pinot Noir ($9.99).

img-0929_orig.jpg

blogger-image--1881584150.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been negligent in posting lately. I pulled all my peppers from the garden a couple weeks ago. Here are my cayenne and habaneros beginning their journey to the sauce bottle.

View attachment 40078

Perfectly grilled ribeye with a touch of hickory wood added to the grill last night, finished with a bottle of Cab Sav/Tempranillo and a nice smooth Cuban cigar by the fire pit. Very relaxing night! Your pepper sauce looks damn good, I would put that all over just about everything I eat.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
What's up with this site ever since the picture upload process was changed the page gets wide and in disproportion.
Every thread that has a picture, the picture gets blown up and you need to use the horizontal bar on the bottom of the browser in order to see info on the right hand side of the posts :slp :rn

What's up with this site ever since the picture upload process was changed the page gets wide and in disproportion.
Every thread that has a picture, the picture gets blown up and you need to use the horizontal bar on the bottom of the browser in order to see info on the right hand side of the posts :slp :rn

If you have a program that can manipulate image sizes, set it for 120 dpi and leave the size the same (ie. don't resample the image, so if it was 5 mb, it will stay 5 mb), then manipulate the image size again, but allow the program to resample (downsample) the image and set it for 6.5 x 4 inches (540 x 720, or 720 by 540 pixels, depending on the orientation of the image). This will leave the image file size around 1.1 mb. Mine always come in the same size and the site now will place two of them side by side without increasing the width to the point that you have to scroll to the right to go to the next page of posts.

Hope that makes sense and helps. If you ever come down to visit @bkisel in Wellsboro, I can show you if he has a photo manipulation program on this computer device (ie. Photoshop or something like that). If not I'll bring up my wife's laptop and show you on that. Just make sure we go over that before too much wine is consumed.

Last edited:
Pizza night. Not the same with out my oldest son, but we forge on... Two daughters didn't partake since one has a Halloween party tonight (got a call that she fell and hit her head :slp ), the other is "baby sitting" a 12 year old (more like playing board games). So I made me and my wife separate pizza pies, both with premade crusts (cheating). Her's had meatballs, pepperoni, ham, bacon with diced red pepper. Mine had the same but with diced onions and some "shaker" red peppers. Very good and easy. Took longer to fry up the bacon than it did to make the pizza (450*F convection oven). But it was such a nice day outside that is wasn't a problem to cook the bacon (probably a bit longer than necessary). @geek , this is what I was talking about re: the image sizes.

10-27-17_pizza-1.JPG

10-27-17_pizza-2.JPG

If you have a program that can manipulate image sizes, set it for 120 dpi and leave the size the same (ie. don't resample the image, so if it was 5 mb, it will stay 5 mb), then manipulate the image size again, but allow the program to resample (downsample) the image and set it for 6.5 x 4 inches (540 x 720, or 720 by 540 pixels, depending on the orientation of the image). This will leave the image file size around 1.1 mb. Mine always come in the same size and the site now will place two of them side by side without increasing the width to the point that you have to scroll to the right to go to the next page of posts.

Hope that makes sense and helps. If you ever come down to visit @bkisel in Wellsboro, I can show you if he has a photo manipulation program on this computer device (ie. Photoshop or something like that). If not I'll bring up my wife's laptop and show you on that. Just make sure we go over that before too much wine is consumed.

I am referring to any pics, not pics I upload, but any pics loaded by anyone will increase the size of the page.

How do you guys see the pics on this page, do you get scroll bars in the browser?

I use Chrome.

I am referring to any pics, not pics I upload, but any pics loaded by anyone will increase the size of the page.

How do you guys see the pics on this page, do you get scroll bars in the browser?

I use Chrome.
Yes I do get a scoll bar on some images others upload. But if you edit the image and downsize it enough, it won't appear that large on the screen. The old site used to limit the size of images so that wouldn't happen. What ever website software they are now using doesn't do that automatically like it did before. Maybe it is just a setting that they overlooked in setting, don't know, have my own issues at work with websites we maintain, but we have had that issue before when we changed web hosting software.

I've also noticed ultra small images, so the old site software used to set the images to a standard size, whether they were too large or too small.

Last edited:
@geek , this is what I was talking about re: the image sizes.

Hate to tell ya, Craig, but your 2nd picture was hanging way off the screen (to the right) on my computer.

Also, it seems like once anyone posts a big picture, then all the posts will require scrolling.

I, for one, am certainly not going to take extra steps of downsampling every picture I upload! I am holding out hoping that the purported/promised move to a new BB platform will take care of the problem.

Wifey is out of town, so a bachelor feast for me. I seared some halves of Brussels sprouts, then braised them in ho-made chicken stock. The other night, we baked a spaghetti squashed but only ate half, so I scooped a big spoonful of that to go with dinner. I bought a chuck steak (too tough for my wife, but I like!) and dry-brined it and seared it in tons of butter. While that was resting, I sauteed Portabella mushrooms, shallots, thyme, and garlic, with some red wine that I reduced in the pan. Quite passable!

DSCN0730.jpg

Hate to tell ya, Craig, but your 2nd picture was hanging way off the screen (to the right) on my computer.

Also, it seems like once anyone posts a big picture, then all the posts will require scrolling.

I, for one, am certainly not going to take extra steps of downsampling every picture I upload! I am holding out hoping that the purported/promised move to a new BB platform will take care of the problem.

You just need a bigger screen! :h

Went up to Sprouts (mini Whole Foods) and picked up a really nice boneless Rib Eye and a few things to go with it. Paired wonderfully with a 2104 Gorman Winery "Old Scratch" Cabernet Sauvignon. 100% Red Mountain fruit. 93pts WS and Costco had them for a smoking good deal.

Homemade-Steak-6.jpg

oldscratchy.JPG

We had a preprandial snack of avocado cubes dressed with truffle oil, pumpkin-seed oil, soy sauce, ground fennel, and lime juice. Too bad I will never be able to replicate it exactly, because it was spot on. Delicious.

For dinner, my wife picked up a nice, thick swordfish steak, so I tried a new (to me) recipe from Marcella Hazen called Swordfish with Capers and Vinegar, Stimpirata style. The flavors really come together nicely (onion, fresh fennel, capers, white-wine vinegar). I made a seafood risotto, which in this case just means risotto made with ho-made lobster stock. Finally, we made lemon/ginger glazed carrots.

Washed this down with a WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir.

DSCN0731.jpg

DSCN0732.jpg

My honey is back from Florida. She headed down the day after pressing and has been gone for the better part of 3 weeks.

So, Saturday I got up around 4am and cleaned the house from top to bottom. I then ran to the grocery store and stocked the fridge. I also bought a dozen roses then picked her up at the airport.

I forgot to plan dinner, so it was Digiorno frozen pizza Saturday night.

On Sunday, I made up for it. Roast beef, parmesan crusted yorkshire pudding, mashed taters, sautéed mushrooms, and carrots. For desert, it was home made apple pie!

MAN! did those Yorkshire puddings come out perfect!

IMG_20171029_180608497[1].jpg

IMG_20171029_180855930[1].jpg

IMG_20171029_153106061[1].jpg

IMG_20171029_181058341[1].jpg

IMG_20171029_130208628_HDR[1].jpg

Last night, I made tenderloin filets, seared in butter, then finished in the oven. Drenched with a mushroom/red wine/beef stock reduction with shallots, garlic, and thyme. My wife made Swiss chard with onions, and I heated up some leftover spaghetti squash with parsley, sauteed red onions, and garlic. For those keeping score at home, that is 3 different kinds of onions, or 4 different kinds of alliums.

We washed this down with the remainder of a bottle of WE SI Argentine Malbec, and then dug into a new Montepulciano d'Abruzzo that just arrived from WTSO.

This is all true, but the main reason I am posting this, even though I lack pix, is to bump this thread up to the top for later use; I had trouble finding it after the great conversion. :confused:

Tonight is simple flank steak marinated in Soy Vey Island Teriyaki. Also doing some steamed broccoli and steamed white rice with a little soy, sesame oil and five spice.

Back