What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken thighs and broccoli tonight. I seared the thighs, sauteed some onions and mushrooms, then poured in some ho-made chicken stock and then put them in the oven, covered, at low temperature along with a spaghetti squash. Then we went upstairs for some "adult activity" and we fell asleep for ~2 hours! The thighs were totally, completely, thoroughly tenderized by this process. Then I steamed some broccoli, and then smothered it with butter, olive oil, sauteed garlic, and lemon juice. I think I managed to make a relatively healthy food ("steamed broccoli") into junk food ("butter"). We didn't even eat the roasted spaghetti squash -- it will have to keep for another day!

I took that spaghetti squash I roasted yesterday (but didn't eat) and used it as spaghetti today! Opened a jar of commercial tomato sauce, described as "truffle, porcini, and cream." I jazzed that up with some sauteed portabellas and shallots, and a heap of sliced green olives. Served that over the spaghetti squash. Also made a side of braised turnip greens. Blanched them for a few minutes, then braised them (along with fried onions) in ho-made chicken stock, seasoned with a decent amount of cayenne and some lemon juice to brighten it. Not fantastic, but no bad for a Monday.

Instead of "steak au poivre," I adapted this to "pork chop au poivre." Sauteed the pepper-corn-crusted pork, flambeed with Jameson Irish Whiskey, added cream and beef broth, and reduced until thickened. Served with a good ol' baked potato and some green and yellow beans with shallots.

Umm, I have pictures to attach. It seems we have changed to Xenforo and I don't know how to add pix?? I tried copy and paste, as TxBrew foretold...

Instead of "steak au poivre," I adapted this to "pork chop au poivre." Sauteed the pepper-corn-crusted pork, flambeed with Jameson Irish Whiskey, added cream and beef broth, and reduced until thickened. Served with a good ol' baked potato and some green and yellow beans with shallots.

Umm, I have pictures to attach. It seems we have changed to Xenforo and I don't know how to add pix?? I tried copy and paste, as TxBrew foretold...

Paul, you have given me a great idea. I am going to make a "pork au poivre" using pork tenderloin medallions about 1.5-2" thick. Never tried this before although I make "steak au poivre" using beef filets. Interesting that you use Irish Whiskey. I use Cognac in my recipes. We first had this when I was stationed in Germany in the mid 60's. My bride and I could get the steak with all the trimmings and have crepes for dessert for about 20 DM. At that time the exchange rate was 4.2 DM per USD.

Wine for dinner (just kidding!) but it's a new varietal for me: Tannat by Horton Cellars from my recent Virginia wine tour weekend.

I would post photos but need some guidance..... Recently, I can do them on my phone but not my PC.

Paul, you have given me a great idea. I am going to make a "pork au poivre" using pork tenderloin medallions about 1.5-2" thick. Never tried this before although I make "steak au poivre" using beef filets. Interesting that you use Irish Whiskey. I use Cognac in my recipes. We first had this when I was stationed in Germany in the mid 60's. My bride and I could get the steak with all the trimmings and have crepes for dessert for about 20 DM. At that time the exchange rate was 4.2 DM per USD.

Sounds good, Rocky! I usually use brandy. (Cognac would be above my $ limit for cooking.) However, I was a little low on brandy, and I have, for some reason, reached for Jameson for this particular dish for many years. I don't think there is a huge difference in the outcome after flambéing (sp?).

I just came into possession of a dozen cleaned quail. Anybody have any recommendations on how to cook them or what to serve them with.

I normally just wrap them in bacon and slow roast them on the bbq, but I am open to better ideas.

Here were the pix. It seems now I can only attach pictures to a reply, not an initial post... :?

DSCN0679.jpg

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

Latest posts

Back