What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some pesto marinated chicken on the grill last night. Also grilled some asparagus marinated in EVOO, fresh garlic, and herbs d'Provence. Topped with grated Parmesan. Also some whole grain pasta. She at was ready, I warmed up some minced garlic, butter and olive oil in a pan and tossed. Topped with fresh ground pepper and Parmesan. Washed down with the LR Vermentino, which is becoming quite nice.

IMG_5842.jpg

Last edited:
So, there is such a thing as too high heat. We like our salmon steaks well crisped on the outside, and nearly raw on the inside. The solution, of course, is hotter and hotter grills. Because the only thing I was grilling for dinner was the salmon itself, I turned to the starter-chimney-as-grill trick.

In general, we got the desired result, but the grill marks were a bit too burned (from just 2 minutes cooking time). The "sous chef" (AKA "the boss") made a nice salad of roasted beets, raw fennel, and shallots macerated in lemon juice&balsamic vinegar. Plus leftover garlicky corn-off-the-cob, and toasted Francese bread with truffle butter. Washed down with WE Eclipse Pinot Gris.

DSCN0653.jpg

DSCN0654.jpg

Tonight we had Strip steak, dry-brined and seared on a hot grill, along with Yukon potatoes with herbs, also cooked on the grill. The boss made a nice Savoy cabbage salad with a thyme/lemon juice/balsamic vinegar dressing. Also, a decadent local artisanal ice cream, flavor being "Fig and Mascarpone." Oh my God that was good. Chugged some CC Showcase Yakima Cab-Shiraz along with dinner, too. I still feel a little slack, so I hear some pop corn calling out to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that was embarrassing. I loaded the wrong picture, and, as has been noted before, the functionality of the "manage attachments" feature of WMT seems to be on the fritz. There also does not appear to be a way to delete a post anymore. In any event, here is the picture of tonight's dinner (rather than the approach of the total eclipse).

DSCN0655.jpg

My Korean friend made a wonderful vegetarian meal for me. Stir fried vegetables with fresh kimchi and doenjang jjigae. It was delicious.

a5623e220fa8c1c2ab666a039a3b0604.jpg

3ce5a2b29eaf41052c428322a1f74d99.jpg

Looks delicious, Greg! However, "fresh kimchi" seems somewhat oxymoronic. :h

It is kimchi that is only one day old, so the cabbage still has some sweetness to it. In Korea, they call it fresh kimchi. After it ferments for a while it will become more and more sour.

It is kimchi that is only one day old, so the cabbage still has some sweetness to it. In Korea, they call it fresh kimchi. After it ferments for a while it will become more and more sour.

Had a guy in the air force attempt to make some, after it was buried for about a week it exploded. Got the SP's called on him thinking he was messing around with explosives.

LOL Nope. Mrs IB is here as well. I picked up a small Pizza from a local pizza shop as well. Just Pepperoni and Green Chile. I wanted to cook up a full link of this stuff to have for the weekend for various snacks etc. My toughest critic Chef Gordon Ramsey "Glowing" gave it a two thumbs up tonight! :db

Not dinner, but Breakfast!

Neighbor dropped off about 20lbs of ripe Tomatoes the other day. I went thru the cupboards and found long forgotten cans of green chilies, hot peppers, then it was everything else -- Onion, salt&pepper, vinegar, olive oil, etc. and cooked it on low in the crock pot for 24 hours. Probably have near a gallon to last me thru the winter, for the fried potatoes, pizzas, etc.

And it ain't breakfast without a homemade Sweet Italian Sausage.

Dayum!

HomemadeSalsa 001 (800x600).jpg

HomemadeSalsa 002 (800x600).jpg

Latest posts

Back