What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since baseball season started this week and the local news has been showing all the new foods being served at the Albuquerque Isotopes park (yes even our local minor league team is related to actinide science. Thank you Homer Simpson!)

I had a hankering for some ball park food. Chicago dog that even @GreginND "might" eat. LOL

IMG_0043.jpg

Last edited:
Well since baseball season started this week and the local news has been showing all the new foods being served at the Albuquerque Isotopes park (yes even our local minor league team is related to actinide science. Thank you Homer Simpson!)

I had a hankering for some ball park food. Chicago dog that even @GreginND "might" eat. LOL

A dog fit for a King! Now, where's the dog? (I think I see some of it under the mustard to the right side of the image).

Oh and if anybody has not tried the angus beef hot dogs, your missing out. Worth the price of admission for sure!

ball-park-franks.jpg

I assume that they do not allow any of the players to wear jersey # 5 or 8 ? :)

Oh and if anybody has not tried the angus beef hot dogs, your missing out. Worth the price of admission for sure!
These are my youngest daughters favorite (other than Nathan's), plus they are certified GF (less than 20 ppb) if my youngest son wants one (he usually goes for Johnsonville beef brats).

06377-Angus-061314.jpg

Hey, that Swiss chard didn't braise itself! :ft :) Not to mention sweating over a hot stove making a creamy, delicious polenta! :h

My comment is aimed at the fact that when you two have either leftovers or take out, it usually eclipses what I have for dinner. So it was not meant as a derogatory comment.

Pizza night for two of us (my oldest daughter and I). We've been fancying these premade crusts (Brooklyn BRED - http://brooklynbred.com/pizza-crusts/ ) since there aren't enough of us to justify making the dough from scratch. Daughter had 1/2 pepperoni, 1/2 cheese. I had a green pepper, onion and anchovy pizza, yum. Would go well with a Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA knockoff, oh well. Served it with, iced tea :(

4-7-17_pizza.JPG

I assume that they do not allow any of the players to wear jersey # 5 or 8 ? :)

Okay, Mike, you didn't respond, but please tell me that you got that quip?!?

Well, it all worked out!

I had absolutely no idea what we were going to serve when I walked into the grocery store. I flitted about, and decided on BOTH the pork tenderloin AND the snow crab clusters (on sale). Turned out very nice. Plus, I "hid" the crab from the girls (who both love crab), and surprised them with it at table.

So, we had: Pork tenderloin, cut into ~2" pieces, then smashed into 3/4" medallions by fist. I seasoned these with coriander, thyme, and fennel, then dredged in flour. I then sauteed on high for ~3 minutes/side, then into the 200F oven to rest. In the meantime, I made a pan sauce with sherry, garlic, fresh thyme, butter, capers, and lemon (kind of piccata sauce), and eventually served this over the pork.

I made a pasta dish that was a modification of pepe e caccio. I cooked some angel-hair spaghetti, and in the meantime combined butter, fresh marjoram, garlic, salt, and pepper into a sauce. I finished the pasta in the sauce (along with some pasta water) and plenty of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and Manchego cheese, and it was delicious.

For a veggie, I did a standard dish of the Sour_Grapes household, viz., I cut some Brussels sprouts in half, charred them in oil on the stovetop, then added some liquid and let them cook through. Then cover with grated parmesan cheese.

Finally, I sprung a surprise on the girls. I bought some snow crab clusters, which were on sale. I hid them from them; I heated a pot of water to ~150F, and held it there, then threw the crab legs in just before dinner. The crab legs were delicious (especially when drenched in butter + garlic!).ought th

We often try to assess the impression of each meal by assessing how "nice" (by which we mean "expensive") the meal would be in a restaurant.

We are of the opinion that many of these meals are "restaurant worthy," and tonight's fare was worthy of a good restaurant.

pepe e caccio has only recently appeared on my radar and all I can say is Wow. After making it a couple of times from pantry items we went down to the local italian deli/market and bought the very best Olive Oil, Parm and imported italian pasta they carried and it really made it even be better. Thanks for the reminder,I think I'll have to throw some together tonight. yum!
Mike

A fine repast of Zuni's roast chicken. I started this 3 days ago, coating with salt and herbs, and leaving in the fridge. I also made summery cous-cous, with lemon juice, macerated shallots, mint, tomatoes, and parsley. Finally, a simple dish of green beans: parboil, then reheat in lots of butter and parmesan cheese. "Dessert" was homemade bread, dough made up by one of the beautiful guests, but cooked here.

Last edited:
We tried Coopers Hawk for the first time last night. (I'll post wine notes on the 'what's in your glass tonight' thread) Started out with fried calamari. It comes with a chili-ponzu glaze (which we asked for on the side as a dipping sauce) and a cilantro/sesame/sriracha aioli dip. The calamari was incredibly tender and they use a tempura-style batter which was a nice change. Both sauces were good, but we felt they were lacking a bit. Neither one of us are chili heads, but we both thought they needed some heat. The chili-ponzu sauce was a little too far on the sweet side. We both thought the aioli was a little heavy on the sesame (not hard to do with that stuff) and needed a little more pop from the sriracha and cilantro. Overall though, we enjoyed it - would just make a few tweaks. I also had a house salad. For dinner, wifey had a filet which came with grilled brocolli onion straws and choice of side. She had 'Betty's potatoes', which care shredded, mixed with scallions and white cheddar, then topped w/ breadcrumbs and baked. The filet good and was cooked perfectly and very consistent all the way through. Sides were good, though the potatoes were more reminiscent of mac and cheese. I had red wine braised short ribs. They came with mashed potatoes, roasted veg and crispy onion strings. They were delicious. The veggies were nicely roasted and had good caramelization - still some bite/crunch and not mushy, as they would have been were they braised with the short ribs. The short ribs were super tender, but still just firm enough that they hadn't become mushy. I really enjoyed them. Washed 'em down with a Petite Sirah (more on that). Overall, we enjoyed it and found other things on the menu that we would like to go back and try. Our server was really good too. That always helps. She was very specific with us about when we wanted the food and paid enough attention to the timing of things so that we'd have a little time in between apps and main course. That was refreshing - far too often you feel like its all about turning the table around and getting more customers in the door.

Latest posts

Back