What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started sweating the onions around 10:30 this morning after making the GF meatballs. Cooked all day and just added the meatballs for the last hour. Plan on serving it with some garlic rounds, a salad and some cold water. Will probably eat, take a nice hot shower and crash with the latest Wine Spectator magazine. Fully expect to see a picture tomorrow on my wife's facebook page of me sleeping with the magazine on top of my head.

3-14-17_ragu.jpg

Tell me a little more about that soup. It looks great.

It's kind of like a big stew.
Lots of chicken, potatoes, yuca, some veggies (carrots and cabbage for example) and some 'special' seasoning as she calls it, lol
We acompanied it with plain white rice. It was good for a cold day..!! :db

She also makes something we call 'sancocho', even a more 'complicated' stew sort of things, in which different meats and chicken are added to the mix. This is one of Dominican's favs of all time. In the Dominican Republic, "sancocho" is considered one of the national dishes. Check Google :HB

I'm traveling and have found some good vegan eats. Guess where?

Baked potato with beans and avocado along with a rocket salad.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489601889.648428.jpg

Some liquid refreshments to wash it down with.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489601962.427320.jpg

Great Thai food. Papaya salad.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489601987.369001.jpg

Sweet corn cakes.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602033.027874.jpg

A spicy red curry and a green curry.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602059.740198.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602074.438725.jpg

Fried (veggie) haggis balls and a spicy bean burger with chips.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602146.590425.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602160.241057.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602179.462427.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1489602104.162913.jpg

I'm traveling and have found some good vegan eats. Guess where?

Based on "haggis," I would say in Scotland, in particular. (Vegan haggis? Heaven forfend!)

By the way, regarding that IPA. Caesar Augustus is okay for today, but be careful if you get a "Julius" today! (3/15).

This is what I've been eating off and on all week. (made it over the weekend)

My homemade Tortilla soup. Easily one of the best things that I make. This soup definitely eats like a meal.

xLDV_f2KMbgrGbol3RvgfTGhx6h7t5H7t4tBBpQGrbi4iC1BcwwdskdEeGIlfmfOaRbEWIUhVZuzXH8AAgVSHgneJRgfPHL_L3sv3qHhoeoBLguc64m06s3_n9kuxGFgtvV0EslxgRsQtso7uHzMuo4OLlimQF_bBu71YVrTOQHq3WYBSBqEh04Hge_PtjAxbRYDrZez527ZXXPSZ6OT276E4IkSMOdvSbBDOfzzhGlIDlXvlsuHpYMICszD1oVRmFhQ3-Wjhrzylk8zfGxJfMYZFtCRZRlJCjhi0zfZkjV3LEUZKP5eyBE9IXGp27Ipx3BWxa7KcwWiPFwF6XkfwlhYasDZ5Wjs0q0Z1MloVPTB1GRdgRyc3TvPR7T6qqdGPjfGJpoA44iaMBr7CMy29jDpUUvZOpbjTYZBlpI3bJQPHEUk2Nuby2tzfcAPPGr6EqdzfehAQ2WnJngPWwuQCoidOMzbXUYhKuKu60KoMsVEBmGmyzReobmEfud-WNrAJGL_5iM6-h7G4m6ezJWpCl_bgkAMpd7m4l_XuDPcMetR9XD1gZhfCG1-Zqjhn-JivEWfa1jtBSXe7DB4HWd4jynzLeirRdbDLKF2EHNfpN7ehE45xw9mtSZdGjvODPLtQz8CJbyeXUI33z6tTHGPdgWRutHT0zUv6RSg_YoFx8Q=w464-h770-no

I was working from home this afternoon, and tomorrow is St. Paddy's Day, but it is also a Friday in Lent. So I made the big sacrifice to cook corned beast all afternoon. (Corned beef is my favorite legal substance.) I don't much favor boiled cabbage, so I bought Savoy cabbage and braised it (with onions, garlic, sherry, coriander, chicken stock, and marjoram). Normally, I would do potatoes, but DW's dietary reasons forbade this, so I made (or rather, tried to make) spaetzle. It was a near farce; I will have to get @JohnT to teach me sometime. I am not a master baker, and have little knowledge or experience with consistencies of doughs, etc. I followed a recipe, but the dough was a STICKY s.o.b. I kneaded it until it was ready, but there was no way on God's green Earth that I was going to be able to extrude it through any holes into noodles. (I kept adding milk during kneading, in hopes of softening it up a bit, but there was never any change.) I finally gave up, and stretched it out by hand into relatively thin tendrils, and barely managed to get these off of my hands and into the water. Although the strands were not at all uniform, it was still a lovely dish to eat (after boiling then frying up with tons of butter).

Washed down with a Cline Viognier, as documented elsewhere.

I was working from home this afternoon, and tomorrow is St. Paddy's Day, but it is also a Friday in Lent. So I made the big sacrifice to cook corned beast all afternoon. (Corned beef is my favorite legal substance.) I don't much favor boiled cabbage, so I bought Savoy cabbage and braised it (with onions, garlic, sherry, coriander, chicken stock, and marjoram). Normally, I would do potatoes, but DW's dietary reasons forbade this, so I made (or rather, tried to make) spaetzle. It was a near farce; I will have to get @JohnT to teach me sometime. I am not a master baker, and have little knowledge or experience with consistencies of doughs, etc. I followed a recipe, but the dough was a STICKY s.o.b. I kneaded it until it was ready, but there was no way on God's green Earth that I was going to be able to extrude it through any holes into noodles. (I kept adding milk during kneading, in hopes of softening it up a bit, but there was never any change.) I finally gave up, and stretched it out by hand into relatively thin tendrils, and barely managed to get these off of my hands and into the water. Although the strands were not at all uniform, it was still a lovely dish to eat (after boiling then frying up with tons of butter).

Washed down with a Cline Viognier, as documented elsewhere.

If your dough is too thick, then you can go with "the board method".

Get a small cutting board (a cheese board will do). Wet the board with water (very important). Place a lump of the dough toward the edge. Hold the board over simmering water. Using a knife, drag a small portion to the over the edge of the board and fling down into the simmering water. Soaking the board first will prevent the dough from sticking.

This is not the fastest way to make them, but definitely works when I do not happen to have my spaetzle maker with me.

BTW, Thanks! I now can't stop thinking about corned beef and buttered spaetzle!

@ceeaton Do they allow tomatoes in the aircraft if you put them in your carry-on luggage?

Just wondering since they prohibit almost everything nowadays.

@ceeaton Do they allow tomatoes in the aircraft if you put them in your carry-on luggage?

Just wondering since they prohibit almost everything nowadays.

They drove down and back, so I'm not sure. Takes them a couple of days as they visit old friends on the way back and I think it is +/- 1200 miles. I'm sure once she reaches 90 she'll pry open her wallet and fly.

Back