What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Sunday, I met up with my two brothers a JR tobacco for a nice visit and a couple of stogies. Had a great time.

Came back home, split a bottle of wine with my brother, then made...

Roasted, stuffed chicken with mash and gravy for my much better half.....

Over all, a very nice Sunday even though there is no more football.

IMG_20170226_185048_845.jpg

IMG_20170226_185459_637.jpg

IMG_20170226_114811_384.jpg

I have to say that the beef turned out better than expected and only took 35 minutes to bake. Although tender, I find that the tenderloin rather bland. The chimmichuri sauce really made the dish POP. When making the sauce, I added a whole jalapeno pepper, so the sauce had some really nice heat.

Yeah, I loves me some chimichurri sauce! Also, the closely related Italian salsa verde and middle eastern chermoula sauces, depending on what you are flavoring. Can't get enough of it!

Last edited:
You guys are killing me :(

I had nothing but a protein shake last night (organic frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and a couple prunes with protein powder and almosd milk (unsweetened).

@Boatboy24 that just looks :HB

Risotto with ho-made chicken stock, shallots, sherry, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Charred (sauteed) Brussels sprouts with Parmigiano-Reggiano. And medallions of pork tenderloin, dredged in flour then sauteed, with a pan sauce of mushrooms, garlic, onions, scallions, rosemary, parsley, capers, white wine, stock, and a preserved lemon. Mighty fine!

Last night was LobsterFest 2017! Every winter, I follow a wonderful recipe for "Sous Vide Butter Poached Lobster Tail & Claws with Herbed Crème Fraîche, Cream & Butter Lobster Sauce, and Caviar on Grilled French Bread." For appetizers, we had Cambozola cheese and fuet, and then deep-fried artichoke hearts with Parmigiano-Reggiano and truffle oil. For dinner, I paired the lobster with braised mustard greens. For dessert, my wife made mixed berries (blue, black, and raspberries) drenched in a sauce of ginger, cardamom, and preserved lemons. We washed this down with too much Luna Bianca and a nice Albariño that one of the guests brought. A night of decadence. Yum!

Lobsters lined up.jpg

plated lobster.jpg

Unlike the more traditional version, my "Last Supper" is at the beginning of my Lent, prior to my giving up booze. I picked up some Prime NY Strips at Costco the other day. Going to grill that and have along with some sautéed green beans and redskin mashed potatoes. My Lent begins tomorrow, so I'm enjoying one last wine - a 2015 Grand Estates Cab from Columbia Crest (also purchased at Costco - for about 8 bucks). While it is definitely not as good as the 2013, it is pretty good at this price point. I get almost a hint of residual sugar, and certainly not the tannin or mouthfeel that the 2013 shows.

1/2 cup mayonnaise. ( I used dukes light, blue bottle)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
1/2 medium red onion (diced small)
1 package Cole slaw mix (the kind with no mix in it)

Mix all ingredients well and chill for 1 hr before serving.

I make this on Friday and if there is any left the next Friday it's still good.

I made a simple oyster stew (shallots, a roux, heavy cream, herbs, and oysters) similar to this recipe. Also, had store-prepared marinated artichokes in oil.

Regarding the store: it was a sad day for Sour Grapes yesterday. I went to my favorite neighborhood mom-and-pop gourmet grocery store to shop for last night's decadent dinner, and there was a going-out-of-business sign on it. They evidently just could not compete with the new behemoth two-story grocery store that moved in a block away. Everything was 30% off, so I spent ~$160 bucks and stocked up on lots of goodies. But, this represents a loss...

"The Last Supper"

Verdict: Good, but not great. I've seen these Prime steaks from Costco before and always felt that they looked 'just barely prime'. I'm a little picky when buying beef and usually search through whats available to find what I want in terms of size and marbling. Don't get me wrong, this was a very good steak. But I think a Choice grade in sous vide for an hour or two is just as tender. Pretty good though - the Costco price for Prime NY Strips is the same as the non-sale price at my local Giant for Choice.

IMG_5114.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

.... they looked 'just barely prime'. I'm a little picky when buying beef and usually search through whats available to find what I want in terms of size and marbling.

BB,

Care to post how you tell prime from choice? Have any tips that you can share that will help us pick out a really good steak?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back