What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prime grade NY Strips for 11.99/lb at the local Giant? YES, PLEASE!!! Grilling that up with some roasted acorn squash, salad, and maybe some ho-made bread.

All rubbed up and ready for the fire. Looking a lot like Christmas.

Edit: Adding a pre-rub pic so you can see the nice marbling on the strip steak.

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

Last edited:
Well, final verdict is overall good. As expected, the outer portions were grizzly. But the main part of the steak was nice and tender. And I got lucky and cooked it well.

A couple more pics. Steaks off and resting, then plated with acorn squash and some olive oil and rosemary oven fries.

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

Baked Ziti with Sausage tonight. I've been watching the Sopranos, after starting my Capicola, and damned if they don't mentioned Baked Ziti all the time. I've never had it, but grew up on lasagna, which I guess is very similar.

Was at my MIL last night for dinner, so pizza night was moved to Christmas Eve. Here's a shot of two of them, we've gotta eat and run as we're supposed to be at Church in 62 minutes, be curious to see how this dash turns out...

12-24-16_pizza.jpg

Was at my MIL last night for dinner, so pizza night was moved to Christmas Eve. Here's a shot of two of them, we've gotta eat and run as we're supposed to be at Church in 62 minutes, be curious to see how this dash turns out...

I'm assuming by the triangle of missing pepperoni, that one of the chirrens only eats cheese pizza. I used to make em like that too when mine were younger.

I'm assuming by the triangle of missing pepperoni, that one of the chirrens only eats cheese pizza. I used to make em like that too when mine were younger.

You are correct, sir.

I make it to order, every night, night after night after night...

Someday they will all have flown the coop, and I will still make three pizzas, one Gf, one regular w/pepperoni except on piece, and one with alfredo sauce and pepperoni, for my wife and I. I will then proceed to give a piece or two to any kid who is unfortunate enough to come down our street after dinner.

Last edited:
You are correct, sir.

I make it to order, every night, night after night after night...

Someday they will all have flown the coop, and I will still make three pizzas, one Gf, one regular w/pepperoni except on piece, and one with alfredo sauce and pepperoni, for my wife and I. I will then proceed to give a piece or two to any kid who is unfortunate enough to come down our street after dinner.

Yup, know the drill well. Two in college now, my girls, and the surprise package boy is 10, got a little work left to do there. When they do start to leave, you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.......

We went a little non-traditional and hit a local Japanese steak house after church. We had a reservation (thank goodness, party of nine), but the place was packed! More than I've ever seen it. I went with filet and scallops, which came with miso soup, a shrimp appetizer, fried rice, veggies and a salad. I'm stuffed to the gills! Kids had a blast watching the chef perform his tricks and produce numerous fireballs. Good times.

Yep, I have that song on my iPod in the car and when it comes on every few months or so it is guaranteed to bring a tear or two. All three of our girls have been out and on their own for for years and years. Our youngest turns 30 in March. Time went by way too fast and especially at this time of year you wish you could go back in time for a day or two.

Yep, I have that song on my iPod in the car and when it comes on every few months or so it is guaranteed to bring a tear or two. All three of our girls have been out and on their own for for years and years. Our youngest turns 30 in March. Time went by way too fast and especially at this time of year you wish you could go back in time for a day or two.

Yup, tried to sit in the room with the youngest two this morning. Hard to compete with their tablets and new headphones (headphones that were on my wife's car this morning at 5 am, those neighbors!).

Back to the cooking/dinner side: Making a GF pumpkin pie for desert, hoping the clove in that marries up well with the ham we'll do later. Got a request from the oldest daughter for corn bread, youngest daughter wants Parker House type rolls, so I'll be a'cookin' all day today. Still a bit early to crack a beer, I'll try and wait until noon.

Now I'm searching for a unique (ie. that we haven't made yet) sweet potato recipe to surprise my wife with (I really don't care for the sweet spuds, like the standard ones better). She has to work today so no help with dinner (which is fine with me, kitchen is mine haha!), kids don't get to open presents until she gets home. Pretty soon the youngest two will start hounding me with "when does Mom get home", sorta like when you take a long trip and they say "are we there yet" and your just leaving the driveway.

Pictures at 6 or so...

Edit: Did some baking today...Ham in the oven. Two types of taters and a vege to come.
Edit2: Sweet taters and Ham images. Also did some red skinned mashed taters (w/sour cream and cream cheese, a bit of onion powder) and broccoli (also known as "trees" around these parts).

12-25-16_baking.jpg

12-25-16_sweet-taters.jpg

12-25-16_ham-boner.jpg

Last edited:
The main event from last nights Christmas feast! Did a reverse sear. Slathered in softened Irish butter then lots herbs de Provence, S&P. Into the oven at 200F for 4 hours and pulled out and tented for 30 mins to rest, then back in the oven for 10 mins at 500F to sear. Served with roasted fingerling potatoes, fresh green bean casserole with chanterelle mushrooms, sweet potatos, fresh cranberry sauce. Fantastic meal!

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back