What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are having some friends over for a BD dinner tomorrow night and making red wine braised short ribs in the Dutch Oven. Picked up 5 packs of Short Ribs today at the store. Spent as much on them as a nice family pack of Rib Eyes!

Chipotle-cocoa short ribs.

We are having some friends over for a BD dinner tomorrow night and making red wine braised short ribs in the Dutch Oven. Picked up 5 packs of Short Ribs today at the store. Spent as much on them as a nice family pack of Rib Eyes!

$5.59/lb for these.

Took the left over sirloin tip roast from last night and cut it into small cubes. Sauteed an onion and mushrooms in butter and Worcestershire until browned then added the meat until warm. Piled on bread slices and toasted until the cheese melted. Pepper jack on one, muenster on the other. Would have been a little better with proper bread, but I didn't want to run in town.

IMG_20160123_120627908[1].jpg

Last edited:
Well, the grill is buried again, and you can barely see the path I cleared. :ft

Started some bread this morning. I think I'll make spaghetti, meat sauce and broccoli to go with it.

Wife making a big stew for this cold and snowy day, with chicken, beef, veggies, etc etc. Plus some white rice.
Later tonight the dip is coming.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1453580386.403032.jpg

Tried something new tonight. I read about a vacuum marinade system from food-saver the other day. I didn't want to spent $20 for a plastic box with a one way valve in the lid, so I opened a box of food-saver containers someone gave us at our wedding and used one of them instead. I put a pre-made marinade and four thick cut pork chops in the container, then fired up the food-saver. After five hours in the marinade under vacuum, I put the chops in the freezer for an hour and then vacuum packed them.

They cooked in the sous-vide at 134 degrees for 2 and a half hours, then I seared them with butter. Peas, french fries, and Pinot filled out the meal.

IMG_20160123_181736522[1].jpg

The flavor and depth of the marinade was amazing. I am going to have to do some more experiments with this method of marinating.

My wife said it was the best pork she had ever eaten. Considering her ability as a cook, that is quite a statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the "Saturday White Loaf" from Ken Forkish's book. I just got it about a week ago and have been soaking it up. Today was my first attempt.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/160774273X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think I need to order that. I see references to pizza dough too!

Edit: I read what Amazon allowed me, and I know I need to order the book. There are some highlighted techniques that I haven't tried and I'm always trying to learn new ways to keep my kids happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back