RJ Spagnols Whats a good young wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfenster

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering while Im letting the Amarone and Brunello from the International and Grand Cru age, is there a wine that I can make to drink in the meantime? Whats a great red for that purpose? I don't mind if its the most expensive, but I am seeing that the most expensive ones are the ones that seem to need to age the longest.
Any advice on that front?

Thanks,

Jim

When I ran a Ferment on Premises, the best seller was the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. This was because it was quite good young. In the store, it would be filtered and then bottled at about 5 weeks. Some customers started drinking it immediately, and I recall one customer saying that it just needed another 2-3 weeks. Personally I felt 5-6 weeks after bottling and it was pretty good. BTW had some earlier this week that was made in late 2008. Pretty darn nice. Most of the time, this is our house red.

BTW, the other varieties seem to need more time than the Merlot. A less expensive kit that is similar is the California Connoisseur Merlot. Obviously prices vary from store to store, but it's usually only $5-10 cheaper.

Steve

My wife loves the Orchard Breezin Blackberry Merlot. She goes at it as soon as it's bottled (around four weeks). I keep a spare kit of this on hand to keep her out of my other wines.

That reminds me, I need to get another kit! Christimas is coming!

If you add some of the flavor pack up front, you'll boost the ABV and have less to add at the end, thus reducing the sweetness.

Latest posts

Back