What to top up with?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whino-wino

Reaction score
My Mosti All Juice Amorone kit is happily bubbling away in the carboy at the moment. The thing is I expect to be racking it in about a week or so and I'll need to top it up at that time.

Water is not an option as I do not want to water this one down even a little bit.

Using marbles is a good idea, but I don't have any marbles (at least that's what my wife thinks).

I would much prefer to top up with a similar wine. The local liquor store does not carry any Amarone. They do carry it in Bemidji, which is about an hour from my house, but I don't have any other reason at the moment to make the drive. Besides, Amarone is apparently not cheap and I'd be looking at at least $25 for a bottle of it. I'd much prefer to use something that I've already got on my wine rack, but everything to me seems either too thin/young or too good to be used as a "top up" wine.

I have:

2 bottles of Conquista de Argentina Malbec vintage 2004 (I'd prefer not to use this as I really like it)

2 bottles Renwood 2002 Old Vine Zinfandel (This needs to be consumed fairly soon)

1bottle Marietta Old Vine Red Zin Lot #46

3 bottles Marietta Old Vine Red Zin Lot #47

1 bottle Castle Rock 2006 Mendocino County Pinot Noir

1 bottle Gnarly Head 2006 Old Vine Zinfandel

Wine's I've made:

About 20 bottles MM Vinefera Noble Gamay (2008)

4 bottles WE Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel (2004) - Not using this for sure! Too Good!

10 bottles WE Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel (2007) - Another case of this is being "stored" at my Dad's place so I really have 24 bottles....I hope.

26 bottles WE Vintners Reserve Bourgeron Rouge (Red Burgundy) - Added some grape concentrate to this for extra body as it was only a 7L kit. Turned out pretty darn good actually.

20 bottles WE VR Red Zinfandel (2007)

Everything else I've made is either a fruit wine or white.

Which of these would be the best match for an Amorone or do you think it would be better for me to just kick in the extra $25 and get a bottle of the stuff?

I would go with your youngest zin and it wont matter that much as you shouldnt really need that much anyway. Marbles are cheap and you should be able to get them at a dollar store or pet shop. I think youd be shocked as Ive never seen an Amarone under $65!

I think I would add the Bourgeron Rouge...I would think this would be bit closer to the Amorone...at least what I have tasted.....Hope you don't need to add much, as Amorone is a very nice wine, with some ageing....Good Luck

It looks at the moment as I may need to add close to a whole bottle based on the current head space and the amount of sediment in the carboy.

I may end up racking into a 5 gallon carboy and then blending the rest with a bottle of something else in a 1 gallon jug. At least this way I'll have 5 gallons of just Amarone.

I don't think I would be afraid to add one bottle, but going with a five gallon and a one gallon would be a good idea too....

I like the 5 gallon better and then blend the rest idea, did nt know you had that option. Always the best way to see what a true wine tastes like and not wonder if it could have been better.

I always go to a 5 gal and 1500 ml for the second racking. I have lots of stoppers and airlocks. That being said, my first two wines this year are amarone and barolo, and I have last year's versions for topping up.

whino, where in the world do you get a $25 bottle of Amarone???
smiley3.gif

uavwmn said:
whino, where in the world do you get a $25 bottle of Amarone???
smiley3.gif

Apparently not in Bemidji. The doctor sent me over there today for some tests at the clinicand I took the opportunity to look for some around town. I only found 3 bottles in the whole town all at the same location. It wasn't $65 like wade suggested. They were all 39.99, which is actually less than I had expected. I can't remember the name of the label other than it started with a "T". I can get it for $36 if I go there on Tuesday as all of their wines are 10% off every Tuesday. Two of the three were from '03 and one was from '01. All were the same price.

Im just guessing here but would say that it would be a bottom of the barrel bottle, but you never know, could be a new company trying to get off their feet and may produce a very good wine. You just never know!

Can you find a bottle of Valpolicella Ripassa locally for a decent price?

Back