What to top off with after racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buercky

Junior
Reaction score
What does everybody top off with after racking off lees? (i think thats what it is called) What if you needed a half gallon to top off?

Thanks

I always make a little extra in the primary, then when I transfer to the carboy, the extra i put in a clean wine or beer bottle. I cover the bottle with a makeshift airlock using a piece of plastic from a ziplock, and secured with a rubber band. When I transfer and need to top up, I use the extra wine. If I still have a little left over, I transfer the extra into a smaller bottle and save for later.

Since you probably have already started, you can top up with a similar wine, or (less desirable) water if it's just a small amount. Other people use sanitized marbles to take up some of the space. You can also transfer to smaller containers.

IMO if you need a half gallon to top off you should be racking to a smaller carboy.

But I think most top off with a similar wine or juice.

Buercky,

Whatever you use, do not use water. Use a similar wine.

I don't top off per se, rather I down size my containers. I am guessing that you are new to the hobby and may not have a lot of varying sizes of carboys but over the years, if you stay with the hobby, you will. I have 6.5, 6, 5, 3, 1 and 1/2 gallon carboys in addition to may 1500 ml bottles. So if I start with 6 gallons and rack (losing 1/2 gallon or so) I go to a 5 gallon and a 1/2 gallon carboy.

I use water often. It depends on how fruit-laden your initial must was. Often, water has no effect whatsoever on my wine, which turns out intense and alcohol-laden before topping off. Similar wine or reserved wine from the batch works too. Or you could go the no-top way and use aggie marbles, sanitized and dropped down the carboy neck.

jswordy said:
I use water often. It depends on how fruit-laden your initial must was. Often, water has no effect whatsoever on my wine, which turns out intense and alcohol-laden before topping off. Similar wine or reserved wine from the batch works too. Or you could go the no-top way and use aggie marbles, sanitized and dropped down the carboy neck.

Aggie marble-where to buy them? Do you mean real marble or the round glass balls kids play?

Aggie marble-where to buy them? Do you mean real marble or the round glass balls kids play?

He's probably talking the glass marbles as they're easy to clean, non-porous like a carboy & easy/cheap to find...

Just dont actually drop them down the carboy neck :)

Deezil said:
He's probably talking the glass marbles as they're easy to clean, non-porous like a carboy & easy/cheap to find...

Just dont actually drop them down the carboy neck :)

Thanks. Do you know what kind of store can I find them. And is it safe?

I have found, if im not bulk ageing in the carboy then if I skip topping up the meta does its job and no oxidation occurred. I'd not be so confident if I was bulk ageing beyond 5-6 weeks

When I first started I just bought cheap boxed wine to top off with. However, now I have lots and lots of similar wine that I've made that I can top off with.

Back