What to do with my top off bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
So I need rack my first batch of wine tonight and I have the leftover wine from my primary in a wine bottle with an airlock. I will need to top off once I rack but then my wine in my top off bottle will probably be half full. Can I still keep it in there or do I need to put it in something smaller? I don't really have anything smaller that I could fit an airlock on is the problem. Thanks Nick.

I know just what you mean. I have the same problem in my basement. What I do, your mileage may vary, is top off and then look over my left shoulder, and then right shoulder, poor it into a glass and stop just before the sediment starts to creep in, and drink it. Why waste wine? Because like you, I don't have 375 ml bottles. And there is no harm in getting a "feel" for what a wine tastes like in the different stages of fermentation and aging.

Joe

Joe, I do the same thing. Just remember, not all fermentations will agree with your stomach so drink responsibly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wine Making mobile app

I take mine and put in fridge either with an airlock are a loose cap.
When i rack I add the wine, slowly, not to get any sediment from the wine thats in the fridge.

I would love to drink it but I'm thinking I will need to rack again at some point and need it for topping off then as well

Put it in another bottle half the size.

But, you could drink it. Yes. Drink it. ;)

I put mine in a Mason jar that is the size needed with VERY little headspace. Then put it in the fridge. After several batches you will have no idea what all those canning jars are holding unless you label them.
If you don't label, then you get to have a 'guess the varietal' tasting party. (which is why I don't label mine.)

I've been very surprised at how well even a 2/3 full mason jar keeps the wine in the fridge. I have bottles in 1.5L, 750ml, 500ml and 375ml, but they aren't always available or the right size. The mason jar works just fine. As Lori said, lable them. And take a small taste before adding to be sure it hasn't spoiled.

Lets see, why are most of us making wine?? To get something decent to drink, right?? To find out how it tastes, you have to drink a bit or maybe abit more. Use the extra to find out how your wines are progressing. Watch out, tho. Extra wine calls the wine gremlins. All of a sudden the carboys are low and you have to top em off somehow. If you don't have any, I will try and send you some if you p.m. me. LOL, Arne.

I have 750's, 375's and 187's just for the reason you mention. I may start with a 750 of leftover from the primary and after the first topping off, I move the remainder to a 375, and so forth.
The 375's I came across from a winery that gave them to me.
The 187's I bought at a local grocery store with wine in them, Gallo $1 each.

I use a sanitized 20 oz plastic pop bottle and squeeze it till the wine is at the top then cap it. No airlock but no air contact either. Lasts quite a while for me.

Back