What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wednesday is grocery day. gonna hit BJ’s looking for frozen fruit combo to make a new batch of tutti-frutti - it’s my combo of dragons blood and skeeter pee. i recently cracked open the 1,75 ml bottle and was told it’s my best effort yet. Waiting for tomorrows rain. Looks like we might have turned the corner on the drought season

Since I'm not one of the lucky ducks who are already retired, I have to work and it's been really busy lately. So I'm falling a bit behind on my winemaking this year. I have several kits waiting for my attention. Right now, I have 2 in primary: a FWK Peach that we picked up on our way through Ohio after our vacation in DC earlier this month, and a 3 gallon RJS Cru Specialty Vidal dessert wine kit. So today in between work meetings, I'm monitoring those, which mostly means gazing at the bubbles being produced by the active yeast, and enjoying the wonderful peach pie smell coming from the peach kit.

I ordered a Chilean juice bucket that's supposed to be here in early May, so I need to make sure I have space and carboys available for that. Otherwise, I'd probably have a third kit going. I may start a 1 gallon batch of lingonberry from syrup tonight. (I made it before and I don't care for it, but a friend of mine loves it.)

I'm sitting in the house this afternoon. This morning I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a corded electric pole saw, and intended to test it today.

By the time I got home, it was raining.

Then Mother Nature decided to do a spring cleaning and it POURED. Hard enough I was searching the net for plans for an ark, twenty minutes worth. Since then it's rained hard several times -- I haven't experienced this since the last hurricane came through (not that I miss it).

It just started pouring again, about 10 minutes of torrential downpour. Makes me appreciate having a good roof.

Tomorrow I'll take pictures of our creek (4'-6' wide) at the back of the property. I'm sure it will have overflowed the banks.

I'm sitting in the house this afternoon. This morning I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a corded electric pole saw, and intended to test it today.

By the time I got home, it was raining.

Then Mother Nature decided to do a spring cleaning and it POURED. Hard enough I was searching the net for plans for an ark, twenty minutes worth. Since then it's rained hard several times -- I haven't experienced this since the last hurricane came through (not that I miss it).

It just started pouring again, about 10 minutes of torrential downpour. Makes me appreciate having a good roof.

Tomorrow I'll take pictures of our creek (4'-6' wide) at the back of the property. I'm sure it will have overflowed the banks.
Same up here. Wifey and I did yard stuff till about 1:30, then it poured. Hoping it gets past us in time for me to start up some charcoal for NY strip steaks for her bday dinner (bday was Thursday, celebrating today).

We need the rain really bad 'round these parts, so I welcome any precipitation we get, except for snow, though we've had very little of that this year, hence the semi-arid conditions.

Same up here. Wifey and I did yard stuff till about 1:30, then it poured. Hoping it gets past us in time for me to start up some charcoal for NY strip steaks for her bday dinner (bday was Thursday, celebrating today).
Good luck!

If you were here, you'd need a nuclear bomb to start the charcoal, and even that might not work. It's pouring yet again. Cell after cell keeping stopping by.

Good luck!

If you were here, you'd need a nuclear bomb to start the charcoal, and even that might not work. It's pouring yet again. Cell after cell keeping stopping by.
We just had a light shower, seems like the heavy stuff is past us. I just started the charcoal, crossing my fingers!

They had predicted heavy rain for us, supposed to have been all night Friday and all day today. Overnight, we got 0.63 inch and it cleared off today. WE NEED MORE!

Yesterday was a torrential rain-out, so Mrs. WM81 and I had a lazy day. This morning we went out in the garage to do another hour of cleaning. In the past we did an intensive weekend of pulling everything out of the garage, sorting, junking, cleaning, and re-arranging. This year we're doing it differently -- we choose a section and spring-clean it, taking an hour or so. With the sons out of the nest, we finally realized we don't have to schedule a weekend free of other stuff -- just an hour or so, which is much easier.

After that, I power washed the truck. I learned to not bother washing vehicles during the spring yellow pollen season, so the truck gets ugly.

truck-1.jpg

I didn't use soap -- just the power washer.

truck-2.jpg

Another weekend I'll do a real washing. This was just to get the crust off.

The paint is dull, but it's spent 25 years in the NC sun, so it has a right to be anything it wants! 🤣

It has 200,000 miles on it, yet it starts instantly and runs great. I need to fix some dings -- gotta buy primer and touchup paint.

Latest posts

Back