What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 mile run earlier this morning - brutal! It was 7:30 and already 80 degrees. Humidity was only 60%, but no air movement at all. Ugh. Glad that's over.

We are debating whether to go to the Nationals game at 1:30 and deal with the heat, or to to the minor league Potomac Nationals game this evening, when it'll be cooler. Really wanted to go downtown, but I think we're better off staying out of the afternoon heat.

EDIT: Screw it. Free Bryce Harper jersey for the first 10,000 kids. We're going downtown!!!

It was 75 degrees at 5:00 this morning. I usually run 5, but only ran 3.5 this morning. I run from 5:00 to 6:00 at the lowest temps, but it's still rough with the humidity here in South Georgia.

One more college tour/info session down. Toured UGA today with my high school senior and junior.

Lot's of T-storms around. Have only seen about 45 minutes of sunshine. A steady rain has started up, but still dry spots under the bushes/trees. So after a few morning activities away from the house, concentrated on some wine projects. Have racked a couple of wines and got around to bottling a OB Cranbery/Chianti for my wife. Hoping the rain keeps up for the farmers and that I can get some more wine projects completed. 29 full bottles at 1.004 SG, right where she likes it.

7-30-16_Cranberry-Chianti.jpg

Dirt work...rented a Bobcat and a backhoe...been re-shaping the drainage to go AROUND the dadgum pool my wife wanted...knocked some dead oaks, pushed some cedar, made a heckva of a burn pile. I love bigass power tools!

I roughed it out, got the big stuff cut in and piled up. Hired my 16 year old neighbor kid to run the Bobcat and finish it out behind me. Must be all those video games and he just a natural with hand eye coordination, makes him an artist on a Bobcat.

It was good day, thought I had it all done....then the redhead came home and started in with the "Whydidn'tja" questions that I know really mean "Tomorrow you're gonna do this"....oh well, it was only 99 in the shade (where I wasn't) today.

Oh well....I am getting to really like that pool.

Been chilling at The Tides Inn the last few days with my whole family. Kids are having a blast playing with their cousins. Swimming, fishing, crabbing. Stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, canoeing. Headed out in a few for some frisbee golf, then more fishing, swimming, etc. Completely chilled out and relaxed. Oh, and tropical drinks. Lots of tropical drinks.

John and Jim, both of those places look nice. But my Dad always told me if I have to ask how much is costs that I can't afford it.

Went over to visit my brother since he was processing some maters he and his wife bought, so took an old canner we had and my tomato book which has a basic tomato sauce recipe. He had bought 1/2 bushel from a local (Mennonite, I think) farmer/grocer, and when he told me it only cost $8, I was at their door first thing this morning to pick up a box. Had the day scheduled off so now I have a project to keep me occupied (need more projects like the holes in my head).

Edit: Now in the cooking down phase. Always amazes me how many tomatoes it takes to make a quart of sauce. That pot will be about 1/4 of the way full by the time it thickens up enough. Oh well, I plan on doing another batch on Thursday when I'm off, then I'll eventually get into the Romas that I planted, probably in a few weeks since I put them in so late this year.

8-1-16_maters.jpg

8-1-16_tomato-sauce.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the bottle distributor with Doug to pick up 2 pallets (100 cases) which we loaded onto Doug's truck (thank you again Doug). BUT.... While I was paying, I noticed that they had brand new cases of screw top bottles for $2.50 a case. I was able to get 38 cases in a 2005 CRV.

LOL, you gotta know how to pack....

In case anyone ever needs to know this fun fact. You can get about 33 cases of wine bottles into the back of a Honda CRV. Back seats down, standing on the sides. Now to start to get those labels off. I love that I have found a winery that gives them away after they have been used. Cleaned out the back room.

Went to the bottle distributor with Doug to pick up 2 pallets (100 cases) which we loaded onto Doug's truck (thank you again Doug). BUT.... While I was paying, I noticed that they had brand new cases of screw top bottles for $2.50 a case. I was able to get 38 cases in a 2005 CRV.

LOL, you gotta know how to pack....

I will take that challenge next time I need more bottles. Unfortunately that isn't far off. Bottle 9 cases of Norton and 5 cases of Chambourcin. 10 more of Chambourcin to go and then 6 other carboys. My wife told me we need to make less wine. I think we need to drink more.

I will take that challenge next time I need more bottles. Unfortunately that isn't far off. Bottle 9 cases of Norton and 5 cases of Chambourcin. 10 more of Chambourcin to go and then 6 other carboys. My wife told me we need to make less wine. I think we need to drink more.

And how is that Chambourcin tasting at the moment?

Cooking down another 1/2 bushel of Roma tomatoes. Look and smell riper this go around. Starting early enough that I should be able to get a few other things done today, like the lawn that decided to come out of hibernation with all the rain we've had the past week.

Feeling nerves for my nephew. He is in Tennessee this week fishing in the High School level Bassmasters national championship. He had practice rounds Tues/Wed with the first of two tournament rounds today. Weigh-in begins in about an hour. I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear something.

Last edited:
Feeling nerves for my nephew. He is in Tennessee this week fishing in the High School level Bassmasters national championship. He had practice rounds Tues/Wed with the first of two tournament rounds today. Weigh-in begins in about an hour. I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear something.

Well, they had a rough day - tournament wise, that is. They caught over 40 fish, but almost all of them were in the 13-14 inch range. There's a 15 inch minimum. :ft

But they live to fight another day. I think there were over 170 teams (two high schoolers per team), and if I'm reading things correctly, about 30 aren't even fishing tomorrow (no qualifying fish today). The current leaders could have a nothing day tomorrow just as easily as anyone did today. My nephew and his teammate have a lot of ground to cover tomorrow, but they could still end up doing well. This tourney is crazy, considering the kids ages. Winner walks home with ten grand and a bass boat! And probably several college scholarship offers.

Well, they had a rough day - tournament wise, that is. They caught over 40 fish, but almost all of them were in the 13-14 inch range. There's a 15 inch minimum. :ft

But they live to fight another day. I think there were over 170 teams (two high schoolers per team), and if I'm reading things correctly, about 30 aren't even fishing tomorrow (no qualifying fish today). The current leaders could have a nothing day tomorrow just as easily as anyone did today. My nephew and his teammate have a lot of ground to cover tomorrow, but they could still end up doing well. This tourney is crazy, considering the kids ages. Winner walks home with ten grand and a bass boat! And probably several college scholarship offers.

I've fished there before, same area, it can be challenging this time of year.

The grandson of my fishing partner(20 yrs ago) took second place today. And your correct tomorrow can and probably will be a different story. Wish your nephew the best of luck. I'm thinking tomorrow will be in the 90s.

Back