What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In and out of Wegman's by 7:30 this morning and I think we're all set for tonight and tomorrow. Today, we'll be tidying up the house and making Barefoot Contessa's Lasagna for tonight. I mentioned in another post this is the best lasagna I've ever had - by a long shot. It's got turkey sausage, lots of fresh basil and parsley, as well as ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and chèvre cheeses. Yum!! I'll make that ahead of time this afternoon.

I gotta ask, what do the beans do?

Great question to which I don't have the answer. :)

This type of wine has a sort of smoky bitterness trait and I am hoping the coffee beans add a little flavor that works in conjunction with those. Harry Kloman, who is an Ethiopian food and wine expert, one could say, mentions in his writings about adding orange, coffee, berries, etc. as an alternative, once the t'ej is almost done. With that said, I roast my own coffee beans, so I thought I would throw some fresh roasted beans in there for a few days and see if it made a difference............good or bad.

With four kids, obviously waking up at the crack 'o dawn so they can demolish a bunch of wrapping paper, then make breakfast to order so they have plenty of energy to play with their new gifts.

Been cooking all day (in more than one way), GF biscuits, dinner rolls, raisin bread for breakfast tomorrow, Ham, etc. Also found time to bottle my Dry Creek Chardonnay kit and fight (nicely, hockey like, lot's of floor checks) for the remaining 1/2 bottle with my wife.

Had the in-laws visit for a few hours. Talked with my brothers and sister on the phone and via texts. After dinner it will be time to do a 'round the world with about 10 carboys of wine of various ages. Luckily I don't have anything other than getting my daughter to school tomorrow at 9 am so she can be an athletic supporter for the wrestling team (sets up mats, tape ankles etc).

Nice day off. Got lots accomplished. Looking forward to the home stretch to New Years eve and some Champagne on tap!

I have one son who lives in Maylasia, step son in Monroe, NC, daughter in Carlisle and a son who lives 15 minutes from me. Needlessly to say my son in Maylasia couldn't come home for Christmas, neither can the one from Monroe, NC and my daughter's husband is a FF/EMT at the army barracks and he had to work Christmas Eve so they were not coming home for Christmas. Dinner was to consist of me, my husband, son who lives near, daughter in law and two granddaughters. So you cannot imagine my surprise when this pick up truck pulled into the driveway and I realized it was my daughter and son in law!

This was truly my best Christmas in a long time. It has been a couple of years since she has been able to be here!

Had a wonderful Christmas brunch today with family. My two daughters and husband, my bonus daughter and my parents, along with two grandkids are here. You know you have purchased a child the right gift, when they are opening it and squeal at the top of their lungs, that's what I really wanted, she tries herself on it. Then jumps up runs over and gives you a great big hug. Four year olds are such fun. BTW, a Doc McStuffin pet vet center, big hit.

Went to the range on this rainy day so my son could try out his Christmas present from his wife. He approves of his new 9mm..

I had my snub nose .38. This is one of the 5 factory loads I fired through it today...the round just fizzled as it was fired. There was a fair amount of unburned powder in the barrel.

1451240392561.jpg

1451240406116.jpg

Bottling the LE Shiraz-Viognier and watching my Giants play a meaningless game. :(

Update: got the bottling done, then racked, degassed and stabilized the Forza and racked/stabilized the Lanza Petite Sirah. Topped up the Forza with my recently bottled WS Super Tuscan. Between sampling each of those three and killing the leftovers, I'm feeling a little happy. :dg Going to settle down and watch some football before I do some sous vide steaks for dinner. I was going to break in the new barrel, but will wait until tomorrow for that.

Cleaned all the equipment for the start of steaming elderberries tomorrow and Tuesday... hoping to gave everything done Tuesday so I can pitch yeast on primary batch and seconds batch on Wednesday..

Tomorrow my 8 y/o and I will start going over firearms safety. She wants me to take her to the range this week...whoo hoo for me .

Just returned from a family get together (my brothers/sisters/nephews/nieces/Mom and step father/a neighbor or two/oh and a great aunt). The champagne on tap was the hit of the get together. My mom really enjoyed it (maybe a little too much). Will have to try that one with a Pinot Grigio vs. the Sauvingon Blanc I used this time. Would like it to be more than two months old, but the carbonation can hide lot's o' faults much like backsweetening a wine.

Given that the high after Wednesday is in the upper 30's and lows in the upper 20's I figured it was a good time to rack the PA juices to cold stabilization. I'll leave them out ther til the end if January then move the Muscadine out in their place... still need to carry the Fredonia over and rack the Diamond.

1451349163208.jpg

First gallon of elderberry juice us steamed. I pulled 1/2 gallon aside so my 8 y/o daughter and I can make some jelly later today.... she loves elderberry jelly... might have to get some more jars and whip up a batch uf muscadine as well.

Was at the office a few hours longer than I wanted to be. Then got a call from Mrs. Boatboy on my way home, informing me that there was water dripping from one of the recessed lights in the kitchen (fortunately, it was dripping right into the middle of the sink). Managed to get a plumber here who is now repairing a small leak in the hot water line for our master shower. If all goes well, he'll be done just in time for us to make our dinner reservation. I hope today isn't an indication of what 2016 will be like.

New house right?

the-money-pit-512a4b5a56e24.png

Last edited:
My boss sent me a message at about 11 and said, close your computer and stop working. It took me about 2 minutes to actually do that. Then headed over to a Labs. Nice sale on carboys (like I really needed three more). Came home bottled a Chilean Pinot Noir and racked a viognier and a Cabernet Franc. Now I feel a nap coming on.

Back