What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today has been a rough one. Had to get my wisdom teeth pulled. Thankfully we got a inch and a 1/2 of rain yesterday. Add that to the steady, almost weekly rainfall and it feels like the farm is on auto pilot. So being grounded to the couch for a couple days is not the end of the world.

Yesterday I managed to get my remaining Concord and Niagra into bottles. Today after work I'm going to concentrate on racking the chilean wines and hopefully racking both the Cherry and Apple wines into another carboy. They have been sitting patiently since the begining of may and are in need of back sweetening and acid adjustments.

Today, working. Tonight, racking orange sangria kit and blending together my two Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon batches in preparation for bottling tomorrow after work. I have four kits waiting so want to move things along. :)

Wondering if the sediment in my strawberry batch will compress any more. Been at that hight for 4 days now.

y2etaner.jpg

I'm also wondering if the skittles batch will get any clearer on its own. Been that opaque for 3+ months now.

ve7asusa.jpg

The joys of being a little green behind the ears

I racked 35 gallons of wine after work. The apple and cherry are crystal clear. The 0ct 2013 Brianna is still cloudy though no real sediment. All the Chilean reds look and smell wonderful. I dont think I'll do Chilean white ever again. It all seems to have a very distinct odor. I know the odor is not me as I've smelled it in other Chilean white wine. Looking forward to fall juices..

Plowboy, I remember my skittles looking the same way. Try some super Kleer on it first then filter it. That is the only thing that worked for me and it was worth it.

Did you run it through a 1 or 5 micron filter? I'm not in a hurry yet, should be bottled in the dec/jan range

Today I hope to finish up he trim on the rear of my house. Need to paint the high accent color and install trim around he window we installed last year. I'm also hoping to get the downspouts painted today. If I can accomplish that I'll be a happy camper for today.

I went through a 1 micron followed up with a .45 at the time of bottling. Why are you waiting to bottle? Clear and filter the wine. As soon as it's done dropping and clear you can bottle, it's not going to get better.

It's all about time. I have a major lack of it this time of year. I still have to back sweeten it and all that jazz

Wondering if the sediment in my strawberry batch will compress any more. Been at that hight for 4 days now.

y2etaner.jpg

I'm also wondering if the skittles batch will get any clearer on its own. Been that opaque for 3+ months now.

ve7asusa.jpg

The joys of being a little green behind the ears

My Skittles did that too. I went back and read the thread more thoroughly, and found Photoactivist's results with using amylase enzyme. It cleared mine right up. Apparently Skittles has a starch in it that the amylase breaks down into sugars.

Totally worked in my case.

Today I hope to finish up he trim on the rear of my house. Need to paint the high accent color and install trim around he window we installed last year. I'm also hoping to get the downspouts painted today. If I can accomplish that I'll be a happy camper for today.

I actually managed to accomplish this..go figure.....

Had a very minor set back today. Went to rack my strawberry today just to find out that I have no empty carboys.

Noobie problems. Time to buy a couple more.

I did 2 identical skittle batches using the Amalyse Enzyme but found I also needed to use a clearing agent. In 1 I used Sparkolloid , it was left with a kinda ghostly looking thing. The 2nd one I used Kieselsol & Chitosan and it cleared perfect.

I'm taking a much needed day off from everything. Actually got some kitchen time in and made bread and blueberry banana muffins

didn't do squat today with anything. Just sat back and enjoyed the rain. We are drinking our own Diamonds and Catawba. My wife will return the girl to school tomorrow as they both go back to the school city for a baby shower. I get the whole day to myself.

I did 2 identical skittle batches using the Amalyse Enzyme but found I also needed to use a clearing agent. In 1 I used Sparkolloid , it was left with a kinda ghostly looking thing. The 2nd one I used Kieselsol & Chitosan and it cleared perfect.

I forgot to mention that I also used Super Kleer

racked and backsweetened the Isabella, and racked the Skeeter Pee to glass. When my bottler gets home from his trip, we will have Cranberry Pomegranate, Isabella and more Catawba to bottle. I need some carboy space....

Spent 10 hours yesterday setting up for the church festival. Today I spent 7.5 hours painting the spindles on the front porch. I managed to get the base color and one coat on the red rings. Still need probably 2 coats of red and then do the green center ring all the way around. About 6 hours worth of work then I can sand the floor and get it into paint...

Latest posts

Back