What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked the Valpolicella, then hydrated and pitched VP41 MLB. Now, off to soccer. Running, more wine stuff and family pictures later. Then dinner at my parents' place.

sour grapes, if you mean a ridgid 2 inch pvc pipe that is attached to main drain, yea,....its a lot more sanitary.
our building codes here mandate it.
the old upright huge in efficent water tanks are obsolete in my book.
tankless is the way to go.....
i have installed both, electric and gas...

After cleaning up the yard and some last minute repairs to the outside of the house, we met my wife's cousin and wife at a local winery (Mt. Felix).
We were surprised they had some new wines. My wife likes sweet wines only, and she was happy. They make a couple of really nice Chambourcin wines.

Recovering from my mini tasting with my sister. I made a Chilian Merlot for my sister and her best friend. They needed to taste thier wine for oak. We also tasted a hard cider, my cranberry for Thanksgiving, a blend of 50% zinfindel 25% merlot 25%% syrah, Chilian Pinot Noir. Then we went upstairs and drank 2 bottles of wine. I passed out at 9:00 pm, 2:30 am. comes really early. LOL, Bakervinyard

I'm sitting here enjoying an incredible 2011 California Shiraz, made from a Luva Bella juice bucket. It could possibly be the best wine I've ever made. Lots of wonderful French Oak, hints of licorice, tobacco, leather yet smooth and fruity! I wish I had made more than one bucket of this one!

Just got back from a week and a bit out in the bush. The moose hunt was a great success. A bull and a cow where harvested on the first day out. Then the week turned to the slow side.

Muscadines

What was your favorite brand?
I've only tried a few, but I like the Duplin Muscadines the best.

We were sampling the bronzem noble and carlos of Lake Ridge winery and Sebastion Winery. Same wines even though they are 2 different wineries.

Getting ready to bottle most of last years wine sooooo.....
I washed 12 cases of bottles, 10 more to go! Getting ready to bottle most of last years!
Pressed my Second run Sangiovese, man it is great!
Catawba was a no show today, the winery said tomorrow.
I plan on trying to bottle between 3-5 batches of wine (6-10 or so cases) tomorrow, rotating 10 gallons of Amarone back into, and 6 gallons of Chilean Malbec into oak barrels.

congrats on the bull, plowboy....how big was it.
one of my bull elks i got about teen years ago was close to 900 lbs.
I can no imagine a big moose bull.

This morning I may try to bottle my 2012 Chambourcin, I need to free up a carboy. I tasted it Friday and was still very acidic so I decided to back sweeten to 1.000. Much better flavor. The color was a little light so I added 1.5 liters of Chilean Cab Sauv to darken it up a little. Turned out tasting very good in my opinion. Quite happy with it. It was originally oaked with 2 oz medium American and 2 oz medium French oak for a little over 2 months.

I didn't have the good luck this year. It was other guys in camp year this year. I think the bull this year had a 46 or 47 inch spread. Last years bull was a camp record at 54 inch. I figured I had about 1200 pounds of meat in the bed of my truck for the drive home

On the wine front my plan actually worked for once. The ginger in my spiced apple was a touch too strong. So after the second racking I topped up with apple cider and was hoping there was still enough active yeast to ferment out the sugar. Well it picked up some time when I was gone and it seems to be heading back to dry now. Very slowly but it will get there soon enough.

Well Saturday worked on the wedding wine with my son. We racked the three carboys off the raisins after sitting on them for three weeks into the brute to blend it all back together since the three carboys had different amounts of Lees. Then racked back into three clean and sanitized carboys, stabilized and topped off. On the seventh day I rested. Had planned to do the leaves but it was one of those day when your body tells you hold on there buddy, so I took a nap instead. ;)

Back