What percent of wine makers here use a filtering pump?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I have never used a filtering pump to transfer or clear wines up to this point. I was just wondering how many wine makers use a filtering pump? So far I have not had a need for one. Love to hear your comments. If I can make a better product I don't mind investing in a pump.

I use vaccum pump to rack and filter. Bad back keeps me from lifting carboy of wine.

I never bottle without filtering. You'll never understand it until you take a perfectly clear wine and then filter it. Compare the two side by side. You'll understand what we mean by polished wine.

I've had a vacuum pump for a while now, and bought it with a filtering set-up.. But have yet to use it.

That said, i've found finite amounts of fine sediment in some bottles

If you can afford to filter - I would
I personally own the buon vino mini and the super as well as the cartridge filter assembly. I am now trying to sell everything except the cartridge style - mainly it is cheaper to use and the easiest to clean, and it does a great job !

If you can afford to filter - I would
I personally own the buon vino mini and the super as well as the cartridge filter assembly. I am now trying to sell everything except the cartridge style - mainly it is cheaper to use and the easiest to clean, and it does a great job !

Vacuumpumpman, what would you recommend buying since you have had experience with different set ups? I know nothing about pumps, filters, etc.

But here are the pics of what you are going to need in order to filter properly.
You will need 2 of the barb adapters - which can be typically bought at most hardware stores - make sure they are nylon or plastic.
I would like to thank Wade for pointing me to Filter Fast as they do have the best price.
This set-up is desined mainly in conjunction with a vacuum pump

View attachment filter setup.pdf

filter-set barb for housing.jpg

filter setup.jpg

Steve, since you own the Buon Vino mini filter, I was wondering about just adding the filter cartridge to the all in one pump, like shown in your video.

Pros, cons?

I have always filtered. Started out with a gravity filter but found it had too many headaches to deal with. For the same amount of $$ you can purchase a whole house filter set up and plow through with the vacuum pump. I was already using the vacuum pump for degassing anyway. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Steve, since you own the Buon Vino mini filter, I was wondering about just adding the filter cartridge to the all in one pump, like shown in your video.

Pros, cons?

You shouldn't , because it is porous and is designed to leak externally if you do the opposite it will actually suck in air thru the filters.
But I have seen some people use the ferrari style (very similiar to Buon Vino)
and they have done it - I just do not recommend it - especially for the price of the whole house cartrige vs the others and clean-up also is alot easier using the cartridge style

you confused me there...
your video shows the filter with a cartridge, I was just wondering how good is the filtering process that way using your pump.

Why can't you use a filter pump with a Better Bottle? I read that somewhere.

Over the years I have figured out how to incorporate the plastic BB carboys with the All In One. You can always pull from a BB or an open container – whether you are transferring, bottling or filtering – you do have to go into a glass container in order to withstand the vacuum pressure otherwise it will collapse.

I have talked to many customers who have both types of carboys and this is what I recommend.Transfer from BB to glass to remove CO2,filter and sediment. The glass carboy should be higher than the BB for the next time you transfer; you can start a small vacuum, only to get the gravity to work for you and then turn off the pump. This way there is still no lifting of heavy carboys !!

I mentioned this here -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/review-allinonewinepump-15976/index28.html

I have always filtered. Started out with a gravity filter but found it had too many headaches to deal with. For the same amount of $$ you can purchase a whole house filter set up and plow through with the vacuum pump. I was already using the vacuum pump for degassing anyway. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Zackly! This is just what I did/do. Once you do this you will never go back to not filtering.

poorman/geek - just for your info, there is another option which is a plate filter - these are relatively inexpensive, easyo to set up and use, easy to clean , don't leak and are very portable. I've used one for many years - they can be used with a simple aquarium pump or a vacuum pump.

Pros, cons?

You shouldn't , because it is porous and is designed to leak externally if you do the opposite it will actually suck in air thru the filters.
But I have seen some people use the ferrari style (very similiar to Buon Vino)
and they have done it - I just do not recommend it - especially for the price of the whole house cartrige vs the others and clean-up also is alot easier using the cartridge style

Geek _
Yes - I should read before I post !!
I thought you were referrring to using the plate filter of Buon vino ,
Yes I have always recommend using a filter cartridge as shown all the part # in the previous page - sorry for any misunderstanding :ib

Latest posts

Back