What is the closest wine competiton to Chicago?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Illinois state fair has both commercial and amature competitions. They give out good judging notes too. Here's a link to see some of the notices of old ones and read some of the winners too.

Interesting, its not Gold Silver and Bronze for each type of grape, but rather they judges taste it and determine what medal wine it is.

I was hoping to do a varietal, that wouldn't have too many entries in hopes of getting a medal.

Last edited:
Interesting, its not Gold Silver and Bronze for each type of grape, but rather they judges taste it and determine what medal wine it is.

I was hoping to do a varietal, that wouldn't have too many entries in hopes of getting a medal.

Enter as many wines as you like. Getting feedback from pro's can help you improve your techinque. I bring a bottle or 2 to most of the IGGVA functions I go to so I can get feedback from the same folks that judge at the state fair competition.

There's one in Nauvoo, Illinois in June. I'm guessing it's a good 3 hours from you.

5 classes. 5 dollars per entry. White grape/Red grape/Blends/Fruit/Other. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbon awarded in each class. Best of Show wins 75 dollars worth of juice. I think there was around 70 entries last time.

Latest posts

Back