what idea's do you have for using tomato wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vschlaff

Reaction score
I can tomato's and I want to try jack kellers recipe but I am not sure what I could use it for when cooking.
Thanks
Ginny

Ginny, I also planned on making it last year and a green house offered me about 4 bushels of tomatoes but it was during harvest and I just did not have the time. From my research I thought green tomatoes were better to use than red. Some folks said it came out tasting like a Chardonnay so it would also be a drinking wine. My thought was to add jalapeños (about 5 per gallon) to about half of it to give it just enough kick to make it appealing for cooking. You could add it to chili, spaghetti or chicken.

Dan, I tried a Tomato-Jalapeno wine at the Naples winery last week. Wow, it was good. Just enough heat and excellent for sipping! Would you ferment together or blend Jalapeno with Tomato after both are finished?

Dan, I tried a Tomato-Jalapeno wine at the Naples winery last week. Wow, it was good. Just enough heat and excellent for sipping! Would you ferment together or blend Jalapeno with Tomato after both are finished?

Good question. Normally I ferment separately and then blend to taste. This one I was thinking of fermenting together and using the tomato for my base instead of Apple juice or white grape juice.

I can tomato's and I want to try jack kellers recipe but I am not sure what I could use it for when cooking.
Thanks
Ginny

Ginny, I use wine to de-glaze my pans after frying or sauteing. I think a tomato wine would be excellent for de-glazing after browning meats and vegetables.

Last edited:
if you don't back sweeton it is good for making a salid dressing. Just substitute it for the vingar in a vingeret recipt , also good in BBQ sauce but a good sipping winefor the summer.

if you don't back sweeton it is good for making a salid dressing. Just substitute it for the vingar in a vingeret recipt , also good in BBQ sauce but a good sipping winefor the summer.

Thanks corntassel! I will sweeten some and leave some dry or slightlt sweetened to bring out flavor!

Back