What does everyone do with all the wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krackenel

Junior
Reaction score
I am excited about the idea of being able to create my own wine but don't want this to turn into a situation where I have 30 bottles of wine and feel the need to drink all of them. Would love some ideas or experience on ways to put the wine to use. So far I can see myself: drinking some obviously, aging some for future use, and selling/giving some to family and friends.

Any other ideas or insight would be helpful. This is going to be a lot of fun and hard work but I like both!

Thanks in advance,

Kellen Bennett

You'll find use of them.. I used to purchase a bottle of wine for all the aunts/uncles/cousins in my large italian family and the friends that we don't exchange regular gifts with. I used to go through a few cases easy and it added up fast. This year hopefully I will have some of my own to give! They make great anytime gifts, too. (bdays, get-wells, congrats, etc.)
You also can just have a bbq or two and it will be gone before you know it..
Cheers!
~Kate

If you ever find yourself in that predicament, PM me and I'll send you an adress that will be glad to take them off your hands free of charge :i

On a serious note: put them in an ageing location that is not readily accessible like a crawl space or something and forget that they are there for a couple of years, only pull out a case at a time

:) I'm at 1400 and counting. The best part of the winery is giving it away to folks that appreciate it. Then making it and drinking in that order. My wine cellar and basement is not climate controlled but stays cool all year long. My selection is very large as I usually don't make more than 6 gallons of anyone kind each time. I also make wines I know I don't care for right now but others do, such as a big dry red.

The best part of the winery is giving it away to folks that appreciate it. Then making it and drinking in that order.

Totally agree with that. The good thing about making a bunch of bottles is that they last for years. So just make some and let it sit. If you find you really aren't drinking enough, just don't make any more for 2 years. But its just so darn fun (and a very productive hobby).

I had the same concerns when first starting to make wine, thinking what will I do with 25 bottles of wine? You'd be surprised at how many "friends" you have when they find out you have homemade wine!

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies! I live in TN and right now it is 100 degrees outside. I need to research more the correct temperature for storing this stuff and then make sure I can accommodate that. I am excited to give this a shot and see what happens. I've heard that a merlot is the best to try for your first time, as it is more forgiving. Any insight into that?

I've made a dozen or so batches. Among our earliest batches the whites were first that were ready to drink. We went through them before we had time to give very many of them away. Then as our reds began to mature and our friends caught on that we were making really good wine and not just some bathtub-made purple stuff laced with alcohol - then the situation changed. They wanted to drink it at our get-togethers and I began giving it for gifts. If you do your job right you will become in demand!

The one thing no one has yet mentioned is that you will find new ways to use your wine for COOKING! One good dish made with a cup or so of wine and your quality control sampling it while cooking - well, there goes a bottle. Then the bottle you split with your spouse/SO drinking it with the entree you just made - well, there goes your second bottle. You will begin to find new recipes that call for just the wine you have on hand and you don't even have to run to the store to get it. Wine added while cooking enriches and provides new depth to dishes you already cook and you can experiment. So if you like to cook you will always have use for the wine.

As others said, your problem - believe it or not - is more likely to be that your wine is going way too fast and you haven't had all you wanted of that batch. Well, that's why we buy more carboys and make way more batches than we ever thought we would.

Bon Appetit!

NS

Well, a Merlot would be good, but so would most any kind of kit. A few wines are a little more sophisticated to make, but not much (I'm thinking of ports and other kits that I have taken liberties with in making additions and tweaks). I honestly believe the frozen juice buckets from Mosti Mondiale may be the easiest 6 gallons of wine you can make, although they are not quite the best as far as big Reds go (far from the worst though). The smaller, cheaper kits may be the most forgiving, because they are really more like wine coolers. I wouldn't be afraid to try any particular varietal - Merlots ferment just like others and the process is very similar regardless of the kit you choose. Fresh grapes are another matter...

Also, my wife has adopted the view that eating more fruits and vegetables is a good thing (duh!), and has gotten into power-juicing some weird concoctions. After she tries those and can't stand them, I suggest we try a juice that I made - a grape juice that has aged. So now I hear her occasionally claim to be on a "juice diet" - without specifying the type of juice!

Use them to tip people, my wife and I have created alot of good will doing this. Your mechanic, hairdresser, cable guy, AC person, neighbors, ..... And every once in a while you will find another wine maker.

I just started the wine making hobby and have four kits underway but nothing in bottles yet. However, I can offer my experience in utilizing increasing quantities of wine.

In the mid 80's, I had the great good fortune of being transferred to our plant in Luxembourg. Before moving over, my wife and I would drink an occasional bottle of wine or maybe have a glass or two when out to dinner. Right after we moved over, some friends from work told me that several of them got together every year to buy wine from France directly from the vineyard. Cost was about $4.50 per bottle and did I want to order any? Wanting to be sociable, I said sure and ordered six, thinking I was ordering 6 bottles.

When the wine arrived, it turned out to be six cases of Chateauneuf du Pape. We were concerned about what we were going to do with all that wine and thought it would last years. It made it about 6 months.

Luxembourg also produces some very good dry white wines grown along the banks of the Mossel. We would buy this direct from the winery also. We were in Luxembourg five years and a year before we came back, we bought about 200 bottles of white and 180 bottles of the Cheateauneuf du Pape. Between drinking it, cooking with it and sharing it with friends, we didn't have any left to bring back to the States with us.

Kellen, don't worry about the quantity you will produce. To quote Tim Vandergrift: "consumption always rises to match available wine sources".

Bob

We normally make a batch just to hand out at Christmas. Friends, family, coworkers, etc.

I am definitely starting to think I have a drinking problem! Thirty bottles of wine last us about a month or so depending on whether or not we entertained a lot. I have about 400-500 bottles on the shelf and 110 gallons in carboys at various stages.

We probably give away 20-25% of what we make and drink/cook with the rest. We belong to a classically misnamed assemblage call our "Gourmet Group" which meets monthly. It is really a bunch of people who like to cook and eat, not really gourmets. The format is that one couple provides the location, wine and main course and the other three bring things like appetizers, salad, soup and dessert. With four couples involved, we get to host three times a year. We can count on using 6-8 bottles for each hosting.

Gifts are another great way to use the wine. I make labels to fit a special occasion (recently a 50th Anniversary Party) and the personal touch is greatly appreciated. At our age and the age of our friends, we pretty much have all we want or need in life so these gifts are really special.

Lastly, it is not legal to sell the wine without the proper licensing, but it is an effective tool for bartering for goods and services.

When someone visits my wine cellar and asks, Malvina how much wine do you need? I answer I don't know about you, but I need 365.
Malvina

One other idea not mentioned: You can donate it to various charities for their silent auctions, raffles, bazaars or other fund-raising events. That way it actually brings in money to the charity of your choice and you earn their good will & respect. You may even be able to claim the value of the wine as a charitable donation to the IRS; check first.
NS

The one thing no one has yet mentioned is that you will find new ways to use your wine for COOKING! ...You will begin to find new recipes that call for just the wine you have on hand and you don't even have to run to the store to get it.

OMG, didn't even consider this before. Now I need to find a recipe that works well using Skeeter Pee!

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies! I live in TN and right now it is 100 degrees outside. I need to research more the correct temperature for storing this stuff and then make sure I can accommodate that. I am excited to give this a shot and see what happens. I've heard that a merlot is the best to try for your first time, as it is more forgiving. Any insight into that?

Any kit will be great for your first wine. Just pick a style you will be interested in drinking when its finished. Kits are great because they come with everything you need as well as detailed instructions on what to do when.

If you're more interested in a quick experiment to get your feet wet, I suggest trying something like Skeeter Pee or this Caramel Apple Cider. Both are ready quickly and give you a good feel for the overall process.

Well the first bottle of wine I make, is going to be a gift to my sister-inlaw. If it weren't for her I would have never started this hobby. If you are making any Skeeter Pee. Trust me you'll be wanted to drink all of it yourself. It's that good.

Latest posts

Back