What do you do while you're waiting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaJ

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast on my first batch Friday night. Aside from peeking into the primary several times a day, what else can I do to keep busy?

I already practiced using my corker with some old corks and an empty bottle...
smiley2.gif

lol....the waiting is the hardest part of winemaking! I've found I've been able to utilize much of my time cleaning the recycled bottles that I am collecting.

Other than that, I'm on this forum reading as much as I can!

Comb the internet and read as much as you can about the history of wine making. It is fascinating!!!

Start thinking about 6 months or so down the road when you can advance to making frozen or finally fresh grape wine. The very best!
Oh, you don't know how to make wine from frozen or fresh grapes? Now you have something to do!!!
smiley4.gif

right on maine gal and dancer man! I'm always reading this forum and have set up to receive emails when they post and I savethe email which post I know I'll need for future referance!
smiley2.gif

mama>>what can I do to keep busy?

Hmmm ...

Well, you can get signed up with some sort of addiction treatment group, because if you aren't already addicted to winemaking, you soon will be.

The other thing you can do to keep busy is GET A SECOND JOB because you are going to need a lot more money to fund your addiction.

You can start building a wine rack to hold 300 or more bottles of wine.

But I think the best thing you can do while you are waiting for your first kit to finish ... is start shopping for your second kit so you can start it as soon as you transfer your first kit from primary into a carboy.

Also, start checking Craig's list for carboys.

Since your forum name is MOMA, I'm guessing you have children. I would say you could spend some time with them ... because once you get addicted, once you get some more money, once you puchase some more kits and carboys, well, you won't have time for your kids.

Your full carboys will become your children.

You will worry fulltime about them, checking on them 40 or 50 times a day.
You will jump out of bed in the morning to see them. You'll pull up a chair so you can watch your carboys. And you'll pat them goodnight every night.

I'll even admit I've gone down in the middle of the night to make sure everything is alright ....

i agree w all the read and learn advice......and certainlya place like that of George's store provides a great way to explore making wine w kits etc
and then all that CB said is 100% true..the silver lining is that you will have something all your own at the end...and that produces a new problem....you will start sharing your wine...ordinarily thats a good thing...but you will start running out of wine faster than you had thought you would

Thanks everyone! Good suggestions. I did remove the labels from 6 or 8 bottles today... I've been reading a lot, as well. Very excited!

Of course besides reading posts, and plannignour next batch(es),

You can always volunteerat a local winery as an intern/helper. Often you find that not only are they willing to teach you, they even might let you sample their wines....

(perfect for a warm fall afternoon, Right Al?)

Dennis

and from my side of the highway...what a nice thing it is to find new friends such as yourself

i was doing a wine tasting the other night and a guy comes up to me and says, 'ya know, i have been watching you when i drive by right from the beginning when you first planted the vines......i make beer and i thought to myself, good for him, i wish i could do that....i would love to help you harvest in the fall,..."

so i replied why didn't you come in and boost my morale that first year... :) all i had was people coming in saying"what kind of nut case plants grapes here!"

and that was not really a question that they were asking me...they were asserting that i was a nutcase

Al,

Most people think we are "nutcases" as who would want to make wine.....its a long process that yeilds questionable results, as your never sure of the quality nor the final outcome...(wait isnt that like raising a child too?)

Glad your geting more traffic. I am so glad the tastings went well at the market. I think your on the right path, and when you have enough juice...it will be time to tackle the big dawg onthe block...the highway state stores...

Dennis

While you're waiting, someone else in a different thread, maybe Wade or Jim Cook, highly recommended a book about wine. Not a 'about wine' book, but a history maybe? I can't find it anymore, but I'd love to know that title!

Comet in TX said:
While you're waiting, someone else in a different thread, maybe Wade or Jim Cook, highly recommended a book about wine. Not a 'about wine' book, but a history maybe? I can't find it anymore, but I'd love to know that title!

That's a great idea! I just put George Taber's "Judgment of Paris" on hold at my local library.

I recently read The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine by Benjamin Wallace. It's a fascinating narrative non-fiction.

Arden

Don't forget to collect, de-label, and clean enough bottles to keep up once the addiction takes over fully.

MaineGal said:
lol....the waiting is the hardest part of winemaking! I've found I've been able to utilize much of my time cleaning the recycled bottles that I am collecting.

Other than that, I'm on this forum reading as much as I can!

Finding the motivation to scrub off those labels is a challenge sometimes.
I'm in the process of that currently. Have a sauvignon blanc to bottle up.

You could take up beer brewing, once you have the gear it's 1/2 the cost of winemaking for the most part. You can brew between vintning. :)

Mamaj you could do like I am doing while waiting for the carboys to finish up. I need to finish up this years pruning of 3 acres or 2000 grape vines. Then training, tying, summer pruning and pest control. In between that, I'm building my winery for a small farm winery. Then when fall gets here I can pick the grapes, crush and destem them, ferment and press and start the cycle all over again. Oh and I forgot, bottle last years wine!

Back