What Colour is Red Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronberntson

Reaction score
So, after putting away some Pinot Grigio for my wife, I’m putting down my first reds for me. I have four different reds approaching completion, but I’m wondering what they should look like. Here’s my current notes:

1. Ken Ridge Showcase Argentina Malbec – opaque red, great taste.

2. Cheeky Monkey Italian Valpolicellal – ruby color, very dry – slightly woody.

3, Ken Ridge Classic Vieux Chateau du Roi – somewhat opaque – muddy. Okay taste.

4. Ken Ridge Founder’s Series Supertuscan – muddy opaque – taste’s great.

Are some reds opaque? Or should I be racking the Malbec, Chateau du Roi and Supertuscan some additional times?

thanks
Ron

Each will have variations of red to almost pitch black. It all depends on what grapes were used and also the amount of oaking. A Pinot Noir will usually be lighter red while a Tuscan or bigger red wine will be darker. Nebbioli and Tannat and also Cab Franc are generally added to give some wines a darker color.

You say it is muddy. Is this before, or after adding the clearing agents and letting it sit for a week or 2? I made a Kenridge Classic Cabernet/Shiraz and it was a very dark red, but held up to a lamp in a wineglass it was crystal clear. I also made a KRC Cabernet Sauvingnon and it was a lighter red, but also very clear when held up to a lamp. This was before I bottled them. I wouldn't bottle anything that is muddy. As a side not the KR cab/shiraz took about 3 months before It started to get drinkable and now at 4 months is pretty good. It's very oaky. I bottled the cab/sauv just over a month ago and haven't tried it yet. Good luck they all sound like they will be great wines.

I agree with the above. If the wine is still "muddy" or opaque, it's not ready for bottling. Patience, my friend!

What colour is red wine

I put in the clearing agents just a couple of days ago. I'm used to the whites, which clear quite quickly. I'll assume that "muddy" just isn't right - that you should get some kind of colour. Therefore, I'll be waiting and watching.

Thanks for your advice.

Ron

Latest posts

Back