What can I do with freshly pressed apple cider?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
The local Rotary runs a cider press. It is all local apples can I make wine with it?

Kramnuko, back in PA we used to make a drink called a "Stone Fence" with Rye or Bourbon mixed with apple cider, over ice. It went down really easy and one could sit there all afternoon in the Fall drinking them and watching football. When you got up to walk, you felt like you walked into, you guessed it, a Stone Fence!

I usually buy about 20 gallons to ferment. I have enough this year left over so I'll probably skip this year. With the price of apples this year probably a good idea.

The local Rotary runs a cider press. It is all local apples can I make wine with it?
Oh yes you can. I am not the apple guy but yes it will do fine. I made 5 gals. of apple with only a sugar adjustment to 1.085 and a pack off champagne yeast. It turned out a bit acidy. I mixed it with a peach that turned out sweet and everybody loved it.

what to do with fresh pressed cider

Add honey, some brown sugar, optional: spices like cinnamon, allspice, cloves....and you will have an awesome cyser. But you can definitely make either hard cider (by letting the fresh pressed cider ferment naturally), or "controlled" ACV based on how much sugar you opt to add + pitching a wine yeast, ending up with something on the cider side vs. the wine side. Picking up a few gallons tomorrow to make a cyser with orange blossom and tupelo honey.

Latest posts

Back