What base for Jalapeno wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am planning on making a wine kit and adding some Jalapenoes to it. I'm not sure what the process would be so I figured I'd ask here before starting.

I am going to use a small kit such as Grand Cru. I was thinking of using a Gewurtztraminer as a base. If anyone has ever made a Jalapeno wine in this method, approx how many should I add? I'd like it to be medium spicy so I was thinking about 15-20 peppers for the batch. Is there anything else I would need? I thought I heard someone say something about adding pectin enzyme at some point.

I'll prob just throw caution to the wind and make it regardless, but any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Brad

Yes definitely add peptic enzyme. How big of a batch are you doing? There are a handful of us who make hot pepper wine but we do not use a kit. Runningwolf uses apple as a base that turned out pretty good. I used a white grape (niagara) base and anther one I used raspberry that I felt was just awesome. For a one gallon batch, I used 5 habernaros and that was probably between light and medium heat.

I used welches white grape juice and 10-12 Jalepeno peppers per gallon. I back sweetened with 1 can of Welches as well. I thought it turned out quite nice. I'm making another batch the same way now. 4 Gallons this time.

Thanks for the reply Julie. I was just planning on using a kit since I have gift card for my LHBS and figured I'd try it on a cheaper kit. I wasn't really planning on making it from scratch (although I would like to down the road and still might for this batch)

Maybe I'll switch over to Habernaroes instead.

WOW I would hate to waste a good kit on Jalapeno's. There really isn't much more work making it from scratch then from a kit. I used 10 peppers per gallon and it was quiet hot but perfect for cooking with. If I was using a kit I would go with a white grape kit or apple.

Ok, its a good thing I asked before making it. Maybe I'll just try a 1 gallon batch first and make it from scratch.

Back