Welchs White Grape / Raspberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Got asked to make this for someone who likes the juice. Me being the guy that cannever say no made it. I made 3 Gals following the Welchs Grape recipe except I used 10 cans of concentrate instead of 2 per gal. I back sweetened with 2 more cans and a half cup of sugar. I have to say this is really really good, and I would recomment it to anyone that likes that sweet fruity style of wine. Its really not my favorite style, but there are times (summer bbqs and light dinner nights) where I dont mind it too much. I kept the SG at 1.080 and its almost ready to go and is less then 30 days old. Alot like an Island Mist but a bit more alcohol which is never a bad thing.

Made a gallon with 3 cans. Haven't tried it yet. Needs to set awhile I think.

I took some advice and kept the SG at 1.080. I dont think this will take that long to be drinkable. I mean its drinkable now at 30 days, but I know it will better at 60. I will wait for 60 and bottle. I am thinking a month after that and I will let people drink it. I dont see age playing that big of a role with this. kind of like Island Mist type kits, age doesnt change them very much once they are done.

I did a 3 gallon batch of Welch's white last spring and also started it at 1.080. However, I did not backsweeten it at all as I really can't stand sweet wines. I think this wine is O.K., but not great. To me it just tastes like Welch's white grape juice but with alcohol and no sugar in it which, if you think about it, is pretty much what it is. I bottled this batch yesterday.

DSCF2791.jpg

Umm...yea that in fact is exactly waht that would be...LOL. I dont really like sweet wines either, but I have to say this stuff really tasted awful without being sweetened after fermenting. Like I said I was making it for a friend of my wifes. For some reason she wasnt happy with it, I would keep it though. I may even make another batch exactly like this just to have for people who do enjoy it. I would not be afraid to serve it as for what it is, it is pretty good.

Latest posts

Back