Welch's White grape and Raspberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
How come all of jack kellers recipes for welch's call for you to boil water and then add the concentrate to it?

Also, why don't they call for a campden tablet when cool?

I am of the thinking that I should add a campden if I boil it and I don't need to add it if I do not (because it already has sulfites for preservative). Does is matter?

Why not just put luke warm water in, add 4 cans of concentrate, adjust SG as needed and go straight into the carboy. Why boil it first?

Also, what is Sauterne Yeast? Can I use Cotes des Blancs for this? Seems it would be a good choice. I do not have Sauterne or Lalvin R2.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
There are many reasons alot here do not like his recipies..
Where Do I start..
1st alot are not his
all his recipies say to add way to much sugar (so many #'s)when it should say add sugar to a certain gravity.
Like you said campton tabs (k-meta)
no mention of hydrometer
rarely said to degass.
etc...

Ask here before making wine if you are not sure.

I have no idea why Jack Keller's recipe tells you to boil water first. You are right sulfites are already added, you do not need to add more at this point.

Make sure you use 3 to 4 cans per gallon. I use 3 cans and an fpac. Let the concentrate warm up and mix with slightly warm tap water.

i used 3 cans and an f-pack, as well. it was made just to use the slurry for Skeeter Pee, but it turned out really good. i can post the recipe i used when i get home this evening, if you like.

I'd like to see your recipe...thanks, I've been trying to decide what to make next, and this sounds easy!

For me,

I am going to use 4 cans of concentrate to a gallon of water. This almost always results in just about the perfect amount of sugar. I can add more water to dilute without losing flavor or more sugar if SG is not high enough, but it will be pretty close. Im going to do this part with non boiled water and add no campden. I will add campden after my second racking.

Does this sound OK?

Yes this sounds good, but be sure you are done fermenting before you do the second racking and adding camden tablets.

I did a variation of his with Concorde grape juice. I used 2 cans of concentrate. I did not boil the water and it came out fine. Actually I started with another receipe and changed it to basically like Jack Keller's receipe. The original receipe called for even more sugar. It turned out good and with a real Kick! I think I have one bottle left....

Since I have started a gallon batch of a welches by his receipe using a tropical fruit mix. It is still "perking" in the secondary. I think it will be good as well and a early drinker.

Jacks site does say that many of the receipes are not his and do not mention some of the basic winemaking steps like campden addition.

I typically rack when i see 'enough' sediment and 'when I feel like it'. I will take SG at that time and decide what to do or where to go next.

So far, its worked ok, i don't know if its the proper way to go about it. Usually this does coincide with fermentation ending. I have racked up to two or three times DURING fermentation before though, especially if its a slow ferment and I want to lees out.

Jacks site does say that many of the receipes are not his and do not mention some of the basic winemaking steps like campden addition.

Now that you mention this, I remember reading that a long time ago.

Last edited:
I typically rack when i see 'enough' sediment and 'when I feel like it'. I will take SG at that time and decide what to do or where to go next.

So far, its worked ok, i don't know if its the proper way to go about it. Usually this does coincide with fermentation ending. I have racked up to two or three times DURING fermentation before though, especially if its a slow ferment and I want to lees out.

My rookie opinion is that there are no absolute ways it has to be done. There are std steps and precautions that should be followed. When you are happy with it. Bottle and enjoy!!!!

These are quick and easy wines and generally meant to be enjoyed early. Just my .02

What would be the best yeast to use for this recipe? Cotes des Blancs or Motrachet?

You never want to rack a wine that is fermenting and an sg higher than 1.010. Too many rackings will cause a stuck fermentation and oxidation. Leave it alone until 1.010 and then rack or do like some others, once you are down to around 1.000 snap the lid down and add an airlock until fermentation is complete, then rack to secondary, stabilize and backsweeten if you want a sweet wine. Then let it sit until it clears, which should be completed within the month. I never rack less than one month apart once fermentation is complete.

If you are doing anything to your wine without taking hydrometer readings and it is coming out ok that is nothing but pure luck.

Lavlin 1122, it brings out the fruitness of the wine.

I have lalvin 71b-1122, Montrachet and cotesmdes
Blancs. Based On your suggestion would cotes DES
Blanks accomplish similar results?

I had a great guide to these yeasts bookmarked but I can't find it now. Inmay have found it on this board.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that there are no hard and fast rules. Just general guidelines from those that have come before us. If you find a way that satisfies you, that's great.

I really enjoy making and drinking these concentrate wines. They are ready to drink early. That, in itself, is satisfying.

Cheers!

yup...that was it. I found another one too online, but it doesnt tell you what its best for. These are things I found a while back and thought 'yeah, thats cool, probably never need that." and then forgot where I found it. :(

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back