Welch Bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim P

Reaction score
On 10/30/09 , started a 3 gal. batchwith [email protected], and on 11/13 transfered to secondaywith [email protected].
Checked again this weekend 12/11 and wine is very clear with [email protected] , but there seems to be a lot of bubbles coming up from the bottom.
I don't see any bubbling in the air lock.

Should I rack, add K-meta , and degass at this time or should I let it set .
I would also like to bottle this wine soon.

Jim

That was a fairly high SG at the beginning, so the yeast probably died out just a bit before it normally would. In other words, it is probably as dry as it will get. I would go ahead and rack it, degas it and add k-meta. The bubbles are probably just C02 coming out of it. Be sure to top up the carboy to make sure it doesn't oxidize. If three days of readings verify it is done, then you could bottle it or age a bit in the carboy.

Thanks Appleman.
After I add the k-meta and degass and let set for a few days , can I add sorbate later, if I decide to sweeten just before bottling.

Jim

I haven't taste this one , but my other Welch Grape wines have tasted semi dry, so I decided to try a higher SG hoping to get a semi sweet.

Jim

If you want a sweeter wine, ferment to dry then back sweeten to taste.

Jim P said:
Thanks Appleman.
After I add the k-meta and degass and let set for a few days , can I add sorbate later, if I decide to sweeten just before bottling.

Jim

That's what I would do if it needs sweetening a bit. Add the sorbate after k-meta and then sorbate,then sweten to taste.

What yeast did you use? if you are trying to get a sweet wine by starting with a high sg, you need to use a yeast that quits out at a lower ABV.

Safer like Appleman suggests to sweeten to taste after fermenting to dry at the alcohol level that you want to hit based on a starting SG of something more moderate.

I used Red Star Cote de Blancs yeast, and was hoping that it would finish out to a semi sweet wine.

You did pick the best yeast for this but next time try to keep the SG no higher the 1085 and once fermentation is complete add sorbate & kmeta and then sweeten to taste. It is much easier to sweeten afterward then trying to guess if the yeast will stop at the posted alcohol limit. This is especially true working with fruit wines that are usually best at a little lower alcohol level.
One thing you can do to lower the alcohol and add flavor & sweetening is to add some juice to the must (after you have stablized it). Just add to taste and then finish the wine as normal.
VC

What kind of juice would you add to bring down the alcohol , andto increaseflavor.
How long would I have to let it set before bottling , after adding the juice.

I would use welch's - whatever kind you fermented. And while it will decrease the alcohol a bit, the level will still be high. One of the easiest ways to add the juice is to condense it on the stove or I suppose you could use the frozen concentrate. After adding the juice you'll still need to let the wine clear before bottling.
VC

Latest posts

Back