WineXpert WE Speciale Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantom

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing some experimenting with a WE Port kit, and I was wondering if maybe it's something that someone else has already tried or not. Since the WE kit requires water at the beginning and chapitalization in the middle, I was thinking about using juice, specifically Knudsen's Pure Black Cherry and Pure Tart Cherry, instead of the water and sugar. By coincidence, 1qt of the juice has about 1/4# of sugar, and it takes about 4 quarts of water to bring the WE Port kit up to 3gal, so 4qts of juice adds the 1# of sugar that the kit "requires".

Has anyone tried anything like this? Am I off my rocker? Any reason why this would be a waste of my time and money?

I can see it throwing off the acid balance possibly, never tried that before though.

That is the one product that WE has gotten 100% fully right in every way, shape and form. I think that the WE port is one of the finest examples of a ruby port that is out there and personlly, I would not tamper with that. However, that being said, it is your wine and you can certainly make it your own to your own tastes. Have you had this kit before, full aged? at 1 year, it's excellent, at 2 years it's divine, and at 3 years its almost better than sex.

I've done this kit a couple of times. While a regular port is good, the Orange Chocolate and Chocolate Raspberry are better. So far, I haven't even fortified the regular version, preferring to drink it "straight". I've got a batch of Jack Keller's Blackberry Port aging right now, and I've been wanting to tinker with other flavors, and the WE kit seemed like a good launching point to experiment.

I had considered that the acid balance might get thrown off, so I was planning on a slight addition of acid blend. I've got a test kit, so I thought I'd check it. Also, since I would be going "all in" with the sugar right up front, I figured some yeast nutrient would help the little yeasts not get stuck.

Dean said:
That is the one product that WE has gotten 100% fully right in every way, shape and form. I think that the WE port is one of the finest examples of a ruby port that is out there and personlly, I would not tamper with that. However, that being said, it is your wine and you can certainly make it your own to your own tastes. Have you had this kit before, full aged? at 1 year, it's excellent, at 2 years it's divine, and at 3 years its almost better than sex.

Thatsa fairly stong endorcement, Ima gonna have to investigate this kit.

Dean, wow, if I can keep a couple bottles of my OCP and CRP for 3 yrs and then drink it, I will be a Nun!!!! hahahaha
smiley36.gif

Dean said:

Good to know. I have a batch of this one bulk aging close to two years now. I really need to get it in the bottle.

Back