WineXpert WE Eclipse Barolo at 5 months is gr8

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisjw

Reaction score
My WE Eclipse Barolo is only at 5 months and I cannot believe how good it is already. I just sampled some yesterday but have not bottled it yet. It tastes like it has already been aged for 2 years. The oak and tanins seem to have integrated well producing a very smooth wine with great mouthfeel. This is smoother than very good 1 year old WE SI Brunello and RJS WS Tempranillo wines that I had last night. It is not as good as a 5 year old ($20+) L.A. Cetto Nebbiolo but it should come close with additional aging.

I am probably going to test for pH, TA and free SO2, bottle half the wine, and move the rest to a 3 gallon carboy this week.

If anyone is considering this kit, I would NOT recommend any tweaking. The only changes that I made was to forego the sorbate and finings additions.

I will certainly be making this kit at least once a year.

My WE Eclipse Barolo is only at 5 months and I cannot believe how good it is already. I just sampled some yesterday but have not bottled it yet. It tastes like it has already been aged for 2 years. The oak and tanins seem to have integrated well producing a very smooth wine with great mouthfeel. This is smoother than very good 1 year old WE SI Brunello and RJS WS Tempranillo wines that I had last night. It is not as good as a 5 year old ($20+) L.A. Cetto Nebbiolo but it should come close with additional aging.

I am probably going to test for pH, TA and free SO2, bottle half the wine, and move the rest to a 3 gallon carboy this week.

If anyone is considering this kit, I would NOT recommend any tweaking. The only changes that I made was to forego the sorbate and finings additions.

I will certainly be making this kit at least once a year.
Have to agree. Mine is 4 months old, in the carboy awaiting the freeing up of my barrel. Was really impressed with it. 6 months in the barrel, 2 months bulk ageing/cold stabalizing, bottle and a year later in the summer of '15, I'm expecting a great bottle of wine.
Man, that sounds like a long time from now.

Good to hear. Mine is on deck and will be started in the next few weeks, as soon as I can free up a carboy or two. Around the first of the year, I'll stick it in the Vadai barrel for 3-4 months.

Back