WE Chocolate Raspberry Port Style Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
My LHBS has the WE Chocolate Raspberry Port Style wine in stock, and an e-mail 20% off coupon so, time for my first port kit. FYI Northern Brewer also has the Blackberry port in stock.

1) Curious what the Chaptalization in step 1a accomplishes vs. adding the sugar in at the beginning. Does high sugar levels affect yeast, so that is why it is added in stages?

2) Should I fortify? If so, with what and how much?

3) I assume if I fortify, then I don't need the k-sorbate. If I don't fortify, do I still need the k-sorbate?

4) I tend to add only 1/2 the f-pack when making Island Mist kits. Any thoughts on how much you like to add for the Port?

5) How long should I let the Port bulk age?

6) Wait to add the f-pack until a month before bottling? Or, let it bulk age with the wine?

7) If I am bulk aging, can I skip the bentonite and clarifying agents?

8) Let's say that 1/2 the f-pack is more my speed. Should I add the other 1/2 in the primary (like I do for IM), or will that mess up the port kit?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, Rich. How is your chocolate raspberry port coming along? It sounds like it would be really good, but I'm afraid to commit to a whole kit without tasting a commercially available similar one in case the raspberry is overwhelming (like in flavored coffees).
- Owl -

Where are you located? Vines to Cellar (a local wine making store) had samples of the chocolate raspberry port at the Wine & Dine.

http://www.vinestocellar.com/

Water 2 Wine has franchises in TX, CO, and WI. The local one had the Chocolate Raspberry port.
http://www.water2wine.com/

The raspeberry is definitely there, but imho, not overpowering. The chocolate is more dominant.

Hey Rich,

Well I see you didn't get any answers to your questions. I too have a WE Choc. Ras kit coming. Can you answer your own questions for your process? How were the flavors?

1) I think it is high sugar level is not good for the yeast. That is the only reason I can think of.

2) I plant to do a mix. Bottle some as-is. Bottle some with Brandy. Bottle some with Everclear. We shall see.

3) Since I am not fortifying until bottling, I decided to add the sorbate and f-pack now.

4) I added 1/2 of the f-pack up front, and adjusted the amount of the Chaptalization step to add 0.015 SG. Fermentation stopped at 0.007 SG. Adding the remaining f-pack increased SG to 0.017. I will bottle some as-is, sweeten the rest to around 0.025 before fortifying.

5) I won a LaBodega Port, so I can't let it age that long because I need the 3 gal carboy for the LaBodega. Maybe I will start the LaBodega in mid-January. that will give the Choc Rasp 4 months before bottling. The LaBodega, I intend to bulk age until next December.

6) I didn't wait to add the f-pack. I'm thinking letting it age with the wine helps to blend the flavors.

7) Since I didn't have time with the Choc Rasp, I used the clarifying agents. For the LaBodga, I am inclined to skip them.

8) Splitting the F-pack worked. Just adjust the amount of sugar in the Chapitalization step.

How were the flavors? Initial reports are favorable. A nice chocolate, and some raspberry flavor. Just the right sweetness for my taste. Wife said there is a taste that she has learned that will fade away over time. I don't know if she is referring to a chemical taste, or a yeast taste. My "tasters" are a filtering of the lees, so they tend to be yeast heavy.

I made the port per instructions. Step 4 is bottling, which is 2 weeks after stabilization and adding clarifying agents. At that point in time, I just racked.

I checked on the port today, 1.5 months after the step 4 racking, and there is about 1/2 inch of sediment in the carboy. I'm glad I am on the bulk age for a few months schedule before bottling.

I'm also in bulk age process with the same one, giving it time for a couple months until I start La Bodega, which has been waiting on deck for the 3 gal carboy...:fsh

So I purchased this kit after talking to you and took it through its process. Added the entire f pack when called for and after calculations to take the abv up to 20% added a bottle of brandy. Let that set to its next racking and it's now bulk aging for awhile. Initial tasting was great but ws a little rough the bulk aging should meld all the flavors better. I'll probably bottle into 375's in June.

How much brandy are you guys adding? I just started this kit yesterday and its in full fermentation as we speak. I plan on using XO brandy but will take suggestions if there is something better.

Added the entire f pack when called for and after calculations to take the abv up to 20% added a bottle of brandy.

At 1.017, (1/2 f-pack) it is sweet enough for me. I have not fortified to 20% yet. I will sweeten some to 1.025 and fortify, and see how that one is.

I plan on using XO brandy but will take suggestions if there is something better.

From what I read, VSOP is preferred. XO adds flavor you may not want.

Back