Way too much kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
about a year ago in my muscadine wine. I put 3 tbs in 5 gallons. I have not added Kmeta since. I am about to bottle. Should I add some kmeta now?

Really, 3 tbsp? That is about 12x too much. [Edit: as Gary points out below, it is actually 36X too much.]

Has it been in a carboy with an airlock since then? I am no expert, but I don't see how it could have dissipated in a year.

Last edited:
Really, 3 tbsp? That is about 12x too much.

Has it been in a carboy with an airlock since then? I am no expert, but I don't see how it could have dissipated in a year.

Yes it was 12x too much. I have since blended the 6 gallons with 5 gallons of blackberry jam wine.

Have you tasted the wine? By my math that's 36 times too much, can't imagine you won't taste it.

It tastes ok. It has been a year since I put it in. I thought it would dissipate

Like I said, it has been a year now for half of the wine, the other half was not over done. Can I expect it to dissipate. I have racked it several times while mixing the two wines together in 3 different carboys.

its 12X.. If you mixed it with another 5 gallons Kmeta-less wine its 6X and after a year under air lock with plenty of racks Id say its dissipated somewhat. Has it been spash racked? To be on the safe side Id have it tested. You dont want to make people sick

I read up a little on K-meta, and it doesn't all dissipate. Some of it binds with the wine and stays there forever.
I'll see if I can find the link.

Ohhhh sorry yeah I seen tsp not tbs makes a difference thats a ton. I definitely have it tested

I assume the taste would be bitter if it was ruined by kmeta, not sure. The taste seems ok to me. I will taste again and if it is ok, I think I will bottle it.

What do you think?

I bottle it too but if you start getting sick toss it ;) I cant toss wine unless I gotta gun to my head. Not yet anyway

Back