Watermelon Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start simple and make lots of wine... experience is the best teacher!! Don't try to get complicated until you understand how to use the equipment and taste every step of the way!

Debbie

It looks so difficult and seems like it'll take a lot of time for it to be perfected, but I can't wait to try my first batch!

Steve any updates or photos because I see this is an older thread.

Sorry no. I have been doing misc. rackings and I had my vinegar out of the attic so I had to keep wine away from that.

I will try hard to bring it up and take a photo and back sweeten. I'll post the appropriate. numbers for you. This is one that I had been excited about.

I'll let you know.

Thank you. I am going to try this when watermelon is in season. We also sell at a farmers market so I will keep an eye out for melons at a good price. I already have fresh strawberries in the freezer I will use for this purpose..........

Sammy here is the update.

Back sweetened the wine from negative .990 to 1.010
Used 42 ounces of inverted sugar.

Ph 3.61
Acid .825%

When you first taste it you taste strawberries then afterwards you taste the watermelon.

It is awesome. I added sorbate earlier so I just added a pinch of sulfite.

I am returning it to my cellar where it is still cool to watch for refermentation over the next few weeks then bottle.

Julie was the first to do this and I had been wanting to make it for 2 years. The 1st year I missed the watermelons at the store and FYI I used fresh and ripe seeded watermelons.

Watermelon is notorious for going "off" before it ferments. By that I mean it spoils quickly. Think rotten watermelon smell. Congrats on making a quaffable product from it. Please let s know how it ends up.

Back