Walnut Grove Farm Black Currants

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, I've never seen currants for sale online before. Not a terrible price either. Anyone know if 5 # per gallon is enough for currants?

I also wonder if their currant concentrate is more "concentrated" than vintner's harvest. 5/1 reduction as they say might make it fairly thick. Maybe one of those 32 oz cans could make 3 gallons?

I use 6 lbs per gallon and think its just right for me. I used to use the Vintners Harvest wine base which IMo is an excellent product. I then switched to a Place that sells them frozen in Ct called Maple Lane Farms. You can find their juice in Grocery Stres all over Ct and they changed the name of the juice last year to Currant Affair. You can also get 5 gallon buckets of juice from walkers Fruit basket in New York and they do ship.

A 96oz can from vintners harvest should make 3 gallons.

Yes, I have made the Vintner's Harvest, but I was curious as to whether anyone knew the reduction that Vintner's harvest uses. The vintner's harvest seems a little thinner than 5/1 to me.

Also i think im going to buy a 32 oz bottle of the currant concentrate to make wine. How much do you guys think it will take to make 1 gallon of a full bodied wine? Like as viscous as Port

Yes, I have made the Vintner's Harvest, but I was curious as to whether anyone knew the reduction that Vintner's harvest uses. The vintner's harvest seems a little thinner than 5/1 to me.

I don't think VH is reduced at all. I used 1 can for a 3g blackberry batch and it is quite thin.

IIRC, elderberry is the only VH product that is concentrated.

I don't think VH is reduced at all. I used 1 can for a 3g blackberry batch and it is quite thin.

IIRC, elderberry is the only VH product that is concentrated.

Thanks Bob, I was thinking that it was either not concentrated at all or a 2/1 reduction.

If that's the case, then the 5/1 reduced concentrate on this site should be the equivalent of 160 oz of juice. So, in theory, it should make a 3 gallon batch or maybe more. I'd probably do 3 gallons + some top-up. Not sure if it would be as good as VH, but I think it would work. It's a little cheaper at 25 bucks.

Thanks Bob, I was thinking that it was either not concentrated at all or a 2/1 reduction.

If that's the case, then the 5/1 reduced concentrate on this site should be the equivalent of 160 oz of juice. So, in theory, it should make a 3 gallon batch or maybe more. I'd probably do 3 gallons + some top-up. Not sure if it would be as good as VH, but I think it would work. It's a little cheaper at 25 bucks.

My VH experience is only with BB. I have a can of red raspberry I haven't used yet.

For black currant, Wade gives VH VERY good reviews. And I trust Wade's opinion. I plan to try the VH Black Currant at some point.

You could do a batch from each supplier and give us a review of the results ;-)

I can already review the VH, I made the black currant and it turned out very good, easily my most popular wine so far.

I may have to pick up some of this stuff and make a batch to compare.

I can already review the VH, I made the black currant and it turned out very good, easily my most popular wine so far.

I may have to pick up some of this stuff and make a batch to compare.

Good to hear. Now it's a for sure on my list!

Thanx

I also noticed this place sells currant plants as well. I have 6 black currant plants in the backyard, and I paid more for mine than the $9 each they charge on the site.

Of course, currants seem to be scarce in kentucky, I went to three nurseries before I found them. And this was at the nursery I call the "hippie nursery". They will almost always have what you want, but the container will be full of weeds as well.

I also noticed this place sells currant plants as well. I have 6 black currant plants in the backyard, and I paid more for mine than the $9 each they charge on the site.

Of course, currants seem to be scarce in kentucky, I went to three nurseries before I found them. And this was at the nursery I call the "hippie nursery". They will almost always have what you want, but the container will be full of weeds as well.

I'm gonna' try BC wine from juice before I plant any.

Latest posts

Back