Walkers wine juice acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audmkamp

Reaction score
I just started a jug of Traminette from Walker's Wine Juice Farm in NY.
The jug says 1.18 acid, which seems very high as I'm used to seeing acid expressed as 0.5%, 0.6%, etc.

Could it really be 1.18% or are they using some measurement unit I'm not accustomed to? This is my first attempt at wine from juice instead of fruit or a kit.

I've already transferred to a carboy & pitched the yeast, so any adjustments will have to be made post-ferment. Should I expect acid to be high at the end, & what might I need to plan on doing a that time to balance it out?

I just started a jug of Traminette from Walker's Wine Juice Farm in NY.
The jug says 1.18 acid, which seems very high as I'm used to seeing acid expressed as 0.5%, 0.6%, etc.

Could it really be 1.18% or are they using some measurement unit I'm not accustomed to? This is my first attempt at wine from juice instead of fruit or a kit.

I've already transferred to a carboy & pitched the yeast, so any adjustments will have to be made post-ferment. Should I expect acid to be high at the end, & what might I need to plan on doing a that time to balance it out?
Its not a mistake or a different form of measurement, welcome to the Lake Erie region juices. All are screaming high acid! Be prepared for a thick layer of tartaric acid crystals in the bottom of your carboy.
There is a reason that most of the wine from this region is sweet, it is to balance the acids.

Wast his a hot pack? That does seem awfully high. Sorry I can't help you, my juice I got from them were all around .85% to .90%. I didn't get a traminette. Did you take a reading yourself?

Cold stabilization will help with the tartaric acid precipitating out, right? A long Indiana winter is approaching - that won't be a problem in a couple months!

It was a hot pack. I was excited to get it started & didn't think to test it myself. I believe it is impossible to do so now due to the CO2 - it will just read higher, correct?

Once fermentation is completed, degass and take a reading. And yes cold stabilizing will help.

There are a lot of wineries in the mid west that actually ask Walkers to pick early to get an even higher in acid wine. They also purchase from California. This gives them the opportunity to blend the two to get the taste they're after since California wines have very little acid.

There are a lot of wineries in the mid west that actually ask Walkers to pick early to get an even higher in acid wine. They also purchase from California. This gives them the opportunity to blend the two to get the taste they're after since California wines have very little acid.

Interesting. Well I guess if it isn't so great when all is said & done, I'll remember that as an option for using some of it.
Traminette has been my favorite of Indiana grown & produced wines from local wineries, so I was excited to find a source for the juice recently. I didn't start out searching for any until harvest was wrapped up around here.

Yes the Rhubarb is very good. I hate rhubarb but the wine is great. I make it semi sweet. They have many great wines. If you want to get one others don't have get the Rugeon. A nice red, I added just .5% of residual sugar to take off the edge and a bit of oak. This is a newer wine not many winery's have.

Yes the Rhubarb is very good. I hate rhubarb but the wine is great. I make it semi sweet. They have many great wines. If you want to get one others don't have get the Rugeon. A nice red, I added just .5% of residual sugar to take off the edge and a bit of oak. This is a newer wine not many winery's have.

That is one I have never heard of before. I'll look into it!

Funny you recommend rhubarb, I recently got 15# of rhubarb along with a few pounds of raspberries from a relative needing to make space in a freezer. They are sitting together in a primary now.

Brianna

Speaking of Walkers juices,, I started a bucket of Brianna on the 28th (21 [email protected] SG) with the enclosed packet of nutrient and the Montrachet yeast. Today, 31st, it's at @1.003 already. Is that quick or are my others (L'uva Bella, Mosto Bello et al.) just slow? Usually a day or two to get started then I figure on a week or so additional to get nearly dry. Although I do have a bucket of Pinot Grigio and a bucket of Vermentino struggling to get below 1.000 for @ 3 weeks... I do spend most of my fermenting hours with reds..

Back