Wade's Strawberry Port - How many strawberries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you know why the recipe calls for so much to start with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:u Just racked it again today. This time I remembered to add the K-meta and sorbate.

Kept a bit out to taste test and experiment with. Currently doing a side by side test of brandy vs. vodka. :d The strawberry taste and aroma is wonderful! I will sweeten, add brandy and chocolate in a few days.

This is going to be excellent! :br

I'm also thinking the next time I make strawberry wine, I need to add 10 of strawberries pounds per gallon!

:u Racked again today. Added brandy, chocolate and sweetened. It tastes soooo good!:dg :dg :dg Going to let it bulk age a good 6 months before bottling. Ended up with about 4 gallons.

One thing I would do different next time, is start with a higher SG. Starting with a lower SG, I ended with a wine with a lower alcohol %. Which means having to add more brandy to get the alcohol % to 18% - 20%. I didn't think that part through well enough at the beginning.

I ended up not adding enough brandy to get to 18%. Besides getting expensive, I was afraid of the taste of the brandy overpowering the strawberry. It ended up tasting pretty darn good though!

One thing I really like about this process is how custom it is to ones tastes! Most ports I've had are cloyingly sweet. This allowed me to sweeten to our tastes (wine sweetening is done by committee in my house :d).

Thanks!

Connie

Okay, so I have a few strawberry plants that are producing right now. Enough for snacking, but not enough for wine or jelly.

Anyway, some fresh tasty strawberries were sitting on the counter minding their own business. And some chocolate chips jumped out of the cabinet, melted themselves in the microwave and then covered the best of the strawberries.

Well, there was only one thing I could think of to go with chocolate covered strawberries - Wade's chocolate strawberry port! Talk about decadent! :dg :dg :dg That stuff is sooooooo good! It's my favorite wine project so far. I just hope we don't drink it all before I get it bottled! :d :d :d

I'm thinking about making this myself as my first attempt on a true home made wine. So let's hope it works out

I do have a question. Would it be better to dice the strawberries or could I put them though my juicer, use the juice and put the pulp in a fermenting bag? or just use the juice? what do you all think?

Thanks
Shawn

just half the strawberries and freeze then when thawed use peptic enzyme to break down and extract the juice.

Back