WineXpert Vitners Reserve (Shiraz) Winexpert.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skramer

Reaction score
Well here we go. My first wine. Has anyone done this kit? Vitners Reserve (Shiraz) Winexpert. Just following directions at this point. But been reading alot on here. Do you stir?? Open and check everyday?? What are the best things to do?? Thanks Scott

Welcome.

Just follow the instructions. These kits are fool proof for the most part. Sanitize everything good. Expect this VR kit to be somewhat thin and less body than 12 and 15 liter kits. I did two of these early on and the VR pinot is thin. I use it as top up and still have a few left. It doesn't get much better with age. The VR Reisling on the other hand has passed its one year mark and surprisingly good but it may have reached its peak. Ask questions on this forum and everyone will be happy to help. Read some of the old posts too since most questions have been asked many times. If you are like the rest of us you will be hooked on wine making soon and will also want to gravitate to better quality kits.

Welcome.

Just follow the instructions. These kits are fool proof for the most part. Sanitize everything good. Expect this VR kit to be somewhat thin and less body than 12 and 15 liter kits. I did two of these early on and the VR pinot is thin. I use it as top up and still have a few left. It doesn't get much better with age. The VR Reisling on the other hand has passed its one year mark and surprisingly good but it may have reached its peak. Ask questions on this forum and everyone will be happy to help. Read some of the old posts too since most questions have been asked many times. If you are like the rest of us you will be hooked on wine making soon and will also want to gravitate to better quality kits.

Thanks for the input. Thats why I'm here. Learning as much as I can. Already want to start another wine. This one has only been going for 36hrs..

Well racket my wine yesterday. Everything seems to be going well! Instructions say 10 days in the glass carboy. When do you think I should take my next SG reading?

Well racket my wine yesterday. Everything seems to be going well! Instructions say 10 days in the glass carboy. When do you think I should take my next SG reading?
What was the sg when you transferred it to carboy?

Personally I would wait at least a month before taking another sg reading. But a minimum of 10 days.

Steve

What was the sg when you transferred it to carboy?

Personally I would wait at least a month before taking another sg reading. But a minimum of 10 days.

Steve

The SG was 0.999 Seems like the fermentation has slowed way down since I racked it. Is that normal?

The SG was 0.999 Seems like the fermentation has slowed way down since I racked it. Is that normal?
Skramer,

I have a Vitners Reserve Pinot Noir that is clearing. It slowed after I racked to the secondary but fermented to .996 range in less than 10 days. I started a World Vitner German Mueller once my primary was empty. This also fermented to the .996 range in 6 to 7 days.

Looks like you are seeing normal behavior. (based on my vast experience of 2 kits) We could both be off base.

Skramer,

I have a Vitners Reserve Pinot Noir that is clearing. It slowed after I racked to the secondary but fermented to .996 range in less than 10 days. I started a World Vitner German Mueller once my primary was empty. This also fermented to the .996 range in 6 to 7 days.

Looks like you are seeing normal behavior. (based on my vast experience of 2 kits) We could both be off base.

Well today's report. I think my wine is done fermenting. ( no more bubbles in the air lock.) Should I still wait to test the SG??

Well today's report. I think my wine is done fermenting. ( no more bubbles in the air lock.) Should I still wait to test the SG??

"Visual signs of fermentation" (ie bubbles in the air lock) mean pretty much nothing. What is the sg and how long has it been at that level? Also, what is the temperature?

And personally I would not even be looking at the wine except to make sure taht there is liquid in the air lock. PATIENCE is the best thing for your wine once it is in a carboy.

BTW, I expect Winexpert kits to drop to .992 because that is what I have exerienced with them.

Steve

Okay.. 10 more days.. checked the SG like the instructions said.. 0.997 I will check for the next couple days and see if it stays there. Had to have a taste. It tasted thin but seems like I could see it having decent flavor.. We will see.

Yep, if you check in a couple days and it's still 0.997 (which I expect it will be) then move on to clarifying. Don't get hung up on the actual reading, when it's done it's done.

Okay.. 10 more days.. checked the SG like the instructions said.. 0.997 I will check for the next couple days and see if it stays there. Had to have a taste. It tasted thin but seems like I could see it having decent flavor.. We will see.

You will notice that this kit is a little thin but let it age and I think you will find it gets a little better starting aroung the 6 month time frame. I have to agree with MN-winer...

Well coming right along.. Checked her yesterday.. Looks clear and taste is good.. So far I'm very happy. Still taste thin... No legs.. Will she ever have legs with age or not?? Just going to bulk age her now.

Back