WineXpert Viogner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
I'm somewhere around 10 days into this kit. I let it ferment to dry in a tight lid 7.8 gal primary, 0.990 x 2 days. Tonight I stabilized and added isenglas (WE step #3). As of now the wine is light and fruity with a definite tropical bent. Tastes of citrus and coconut dominate. Who knows what it will taste like in 6 months but I think it will be worth the wait.

BC

That sounds pretty nice. A nice slow ferment. I am doing the Shiraz/Viognier LE kit which I am on day 7 on and it is a fruit explosion. I can't wait!

Is this the Selection Original Viognier or the Vintner's Reserve Viognier?

The Selection Original Viognier drinks well after 6 months in the bottle...though there were people who loved it before that point. I don't think it benefits from extended aging beyond that. The flavor profile will change, however, from what you're perceiving now.

A friend of mine made that same kit for someone's wedding (it was closer to 6 months when served, if I remember correctly), and it was well-received.

I started my WE Voigner today. I have never had nor even seen voigner wine. Looking forward to it.

I just found out today, eventhough I have bought other WE kits, they do not supply corks, or foils or labels. Also, they just give you isinglass, no chitosan.

I started my WE Voigner today. I have never had nor even seen voigner wine. Looking forward to it.

I just found out today, eventhough I have bought other WE kits, they do not supply corks, or foils or labels. Also, they just give you isinglass, no chitosan.

Viognier is more available today than it used to be (it nearly died out in France). It's noted for its aromatics, but it's a rather difficult grape to grow. The flavor can be inconsistent, too. If you do end up finding some commercial examples, they may not be reflective of how the kit wine will turn out. Keep an open mind.

And the isinglass included with the kit worked fine for me.

My previous WE Viognier kits came with chitosoan, not isenglass. Wondering if they changed fining agents.

Adam

Latest posts

Back