Vineland NJ Wine Competition Aug. 10th 2013

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tools of the

some people use water to seal and others use air, I:db use the water method and like the fact that you can get a complete seal in 5 seconds or less and not get scalded like in the begging, lessons learned, a great tool in the winemakers tool box. simplicity don't you think? :db

the tool.jpg

tool on the bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Sangiovese process

SANGIOVESE PROCESS..................:mny SANITATION IS KEY TO ANY GOOD WINE MAKING PRACTICES,READING AND UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOUR END GOAL IS IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS KNOWING WHAT TASTE PROFILES YOUR ALSO TRYING TO ACHIEVE,FOR WHATS THE POINT IF YOUR MAKING A SANGIOVESE AND IT ENDS UP TASTING NOTHING LIKE IT,TASTE PROFILES ARE A GENERALIZATION OF THE WINES OVERALL AROMA AND STRUCTURAL MAKEUP,THIS IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND FOR THAT'S WHY WE MAKE CERTAIN WINES TO TAKE LIKE THEMSELVES AND NOT ALL ALIKE,GOT IT!

A BASIC SANGIOVESE SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST THESE CHARACTERISTICS:ITALIAN SANGIOVESE HAS A BRIGHT RED CHERRY CHARACTER,OVERLAYING STRAWBERRY NOTES,WITH HINTS OF VIOLETS AND WHITE PEPPER.IT'S MEDIUM BODY AND LONG ,WONDERFULLY SMOOTH,TANNIN FINISH IS LIVENED BY A ZING OF ACIDITY AND TOASTY OAK,THIS IS THE GENERAL MOOD OF THE WINE AND THAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD SHOOT FOR NOTHING LESS,,,GOT IT!

AFTER A BRIEF REST AND A FINISHED PRIMARY WE WILL MOVE ON TO THE ADDITION OF RAISINS AND TANNINS,,,,STAY TONED

11 stir up.jpg

12 added 2 bags french oak.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

14 write SG on  tag.jpg

16 Raisins.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

18 added to carboy.jpg

19 siphon with wedges.jpg

20 good stir (480x640).jpg

22 SG reading.jpg

Last edited:
Sangiovese process with raisins

:b....................:b......................:b

SANGIOVESE PROCESS MOVING FORWARD

DOING THE NORMAL PROCESS ROUTINES,WE MOVE INTO BOTTLING

16 Raisins.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

18 added to carboy.jpg

19 siphon with wedges.jpg

20 good stir (480x640).jpg

21 headspace.jpg

22 SG reading.jpg

23 Nitrogen.jpg

24 Wrap with towel.jpg

sanitized bottles.jpg

Sanginovese bottling

SANGIOVESE AT THE FINISH,.....:spm

PLANNING AND HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS IN OUR TOOL BOX HELPS MAKE "THE LABOR OF LOVE "AS IT'S SPOKEN,CREATIVE AND YOUR WINE WILL GROW IN RESPECT TO YOUR SKILLS AND ABILITIES,STAY TRUE TO THE WINES CHARASTICS AND THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX.:mny

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

wine line.jpg

the ferrari bottle filler.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

seals.jpg

the tool.jpg

fitting the seal onto the bottle.jpg

tool on the bottle.jpg

taste before bottling (3).jpg

labeled (2).jpg

Last edited:
Hammonton rotary wine contest 2014

A strong contest to break into.results

MENTAL NOTES:THIS IS THE THIRD TIME IN 3 DIFFERENT CONTEST THE COFFEE PORT WITH THE ADD TWEAKS HAS SET A 1ST PLACE STANDARD/THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BASE KIT AND THE TWEAKS ARE LARGE AND NOTICEABLE.

THE CRANBERRY MALBEC 1ST PLACE.. HAS COME INTO IT'S OWN VERY BALANCED BETWEEN FRUIT AND JUICE I WOULD DO THIS AGAIN.

THE CARAMEL PORT 2ND PLACE IS GOING TO BE STUNNING WITH A LITTLE MORE TIME IN THE BOTTLE .

THE VALPOLICELLA 1ST AND 3RD,THE PREJUDGES OPENED UP THIRD FOR IT (THE RULE IS FOR ONLY 1ST /2ND PLACES ) IT IS 4 YEARS OLD AND HAS ALL THE GREAT TRAITS THE BIG ITALIAN REDS HAVE.

IMG_20140330_113613195 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140330_113355130_HDR - Copy (2) - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20140330_113427121 - Copy (5) - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140330_113505280_HDR - Copy (3).jpg

IMG_20140330_113606932 - Copy (4) - Copy.jpg

Joe,

I was really doing great on my whole "lent thing". Now I happen upon your pics above. Your KILLING me man!!!

Congrats, well earned!

Wines and friends

here are some of the wines i've recieved though time see if you know who's they are?

Danger Dave's Dragon blood.jpg

Eblasmn9's Port.jpg

Runningwolf's Ports.jpg

IMG_20140317_091626 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Who's wine

#1 is dangerious dave............dragons blood
#2 is eblasim9............coffee port
#3 is running wolf.................TRIO of ports
#4 is mine.......left to right. Cranberry Melbec.............caramel port....amarone...coffee port...

Last edited:
Coffee cello

COFFEE CELLO EASY TO MAKE AND EVEN EASIER TO DRINK.....:f2

SHORT PROCESS...FOLLOW
Espresso Chello
What we used:
9 cups espresso (this is your base) (1 ball jar)
½ ball jar simple syrup
½ ball jar coffee bean extract
½ cup everclear
What to do:
Add your base (all the espresso, dump in the pot.)
Next , add the coffee bean extract (little at a time, to taste).
Then, add simple syrup to taste, a little at a time.
The, taste to see if the alch. Is good. Most likely, it will need more.
Add everclear to taste, make sure to not put too much that it overpowers.
Once you are happy with the results, pour back into (2) clean ball jars and put the lids back on. It should sit a day or so to blend. Then you are ready for bottling.

1 Our Espresso base.jpg

2 add coffee bean extract slowly.jpg

3 don't add the beans.jpg

4 stir up good.jpg

5 add a little more extract to taste.jpg

6 then add simple syrup to taste.jpg

7add more everclear to taste.jpg

Last edited:
Cello's

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 4

icon1.gif
Zesting in the beginning
LETS PLAY..............................
fireworks2.gif
Let's make a Cello! IMAGINE THE FLAVORS!
We are only making 2 bottles of lemoncello so that we can show you the process we use.
What you will need:
2 wine 375 wine bottles
mixing vessel (we used a clear pitcher)
wooden spoon
funnel
everclear lemon extract (we made this about month ago and stored in a Ball jar)
simple syrup (made with dissolved cane sugar)

Process:
First, we filled both of the 375ml wine bottles 3/4 the way full with simple syrup, this gives us our volume. We then dumped this into the pitcher.
Next, we filled each of the (2) 375ml wine bottles 1/2 way full of the lemon extract. Then dumped this into the pitcher.
Stir well. (you will see that it seperates because the simple syrup is heavier than the alcohol/extract.)
Once we tasted it and found that it tasted fine as is, we added 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring and gave it another stir. (Some people may ask why add food coloring, we added it to make it more eye appealing. Most commercial lemon cellos do HAVE some type of coloring in them.)
Then we filled the 375ml bottles and corked them. We had enough left over for a shot each to cheer our victory!

1 Bar Jars.jpg

2 fill both jars with syrup.jpg

3 Add to mixing vessel.jpg

4 fill both with extract.jpg

5 Add to mixingvegges.jpg

6 it will seperate.jpg

7 Stir well.jpg

8 add 2-3 drops yellow food dye.jpg

9 final stir.jpg

10 bottled.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up, Joe. I'm going to be kicking off Orange and Lemon cellos in the next week or so using a similar methodology. I'm excited. The store bought stuff just isn't doing it for me anymore.

Latest posts

Back