Mosti Mondiale Vinefera Noble Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admiral

Reaction score
OK! Time to get caught up. I started a Vinefera Noble Barolo on 1/14. It was 12 liters and will make 6 gallons. The initial SG was 1.090 and the must was inky purple.

I racked the Barolo on 1/18with SG at 1.040. No unusal happenings. All went well. Lots of activity in that new carboy home. Happy, Happy, Yeasties!
smiley4.gif

Happy yeasties at work in primary.
20090121_165202_P1000229_Small.JPG

Admiral,

Boy, that looks good! I made a batch of this last Feb and bottled in April. Had a bottle (or 2) at Thanksgiving and it tasted very good!!! I can hardly wait until next Thanksgiving to try it again. I think you will enjoy it very much.

Hello madnurse! I am really looking forward to it. I am going to bulk age it. That is my way of making sure I don't "taste" it away. I am glad to hear it is good.
smiley17.gif

Admiral, my VN Barolo is also in its first racking. This is really going to be good, my friend!!!!
smiley36.gif

uavwmn said:
Admiral, my VN Barolo is also in its first racking. This is really going to be good, my friend!!!!
smiley36.gif

Yes, I had a little taste at 1st racking... excellent starting flavor. Patience...
smiley1.gif

uavwmn said:
Admiral, what is the orange jug?

That is an apple juice wine. I don't know about it. The fermentation at the beginning was non existant (I think). I pitched another package of Champagne yeast (this time getting the yeast started before pitching.) I was getting ready to toss the whole mess after about 8 days (in fact, I carried it to the kitchen to pour it down the drain when I noticed the tiny little bubbles bursting all over the surface. So, I racked it, instead of tossing it, and now there it sits for 30 days until I will rack it again. We shall see.
smiley5.gif

Bet that is a lot more than you wanted to know.
smiley1.gif

What's the S.G. at on the Apple wine? I've made several batches from apple juice and they do not foam much if at all. Most of the time they just fizz away yet the S.G. keeps dropping. If it's fizzy, the yeast are most likely doing their thing.

whino, a really late answer... the apple wine fermented out to .992. I am letting it age for awhile in a 1 gallon jug after racking from secondary. The taste of the wine is harsh but with a definite apple aroma. Hopefully time will smooth off the edges on this one.

Had a bottle of VN Barolo today (Easter) which was bottled 4/4/98. I must say (no pun intended) that the aroma and the flavor of the wine really impressed me! I love this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley4.gif

Admiral, bottled my Barolo last month. Hope to give it a taste this winter or near the holidays.
smiley4.gif

madnurse said:
Had a bottle of VN Barolo today (Easter) which was bottled 4/4/98. I must say (no pun intended) that the aroma and the flavor of the wine really impressed me! I love this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley4.gif

1998?! Wow! So this wine has aging power.
smiley32.gif

uavwmn said:
Admiral, bottled my Barolo last month. Hope to give it a taste this winter or near the holidays.
smiley4.gif

Was it a VN? Sounds like we could be drinking this in 2019 based on madnurse.
smiley1.gif

OK! This wine has been bulk aging. I checked it today and it is crystal clear.(It also tastes very good
smiley1.gif
)Is there a need to add fining agents to it before bottling?

Back