Vented silicone stoppers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the vented silicone stoppers in place of an air lock? I saw them advertised at another supplier (Williams Brewing). The main advantage that I can see if it is, in fact, reliable would be for long term bulk aging where you would not have to be concerned about the water evaporating. They cost $4.50 for a #7 and $7.90 for a #10, so they are rather pricey. See this link: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/STOPPERS-C94.aspx

I have seen them but would be worried the thing would somehow stick in the up position and let in air continually. Pricey for sure!

Yeah Mike, I was thinking the same thing. There are other things that one can do to protect against evaporation in the air locks, like using something less volatile than water.

I always use K-Meta. I think Dan uses Vodka.
smiley11.gif

So here I go again being different........

I use them sometimes, some of my carboys they work great, others not so much, none are in use right now. I use either vodka or kmeta in the airlocks, whatever I have the most of at the time. The kegs are all sealed and topped off with nitrogen, kinda like a great big wine bottle.

I have a half dozen of them and use for stoppering plastic barrels. They work great, but you just never know for sure they work completely. The way they are made, they appear to be always sealed, but if pressure builds up I'm sure they burp the air out. Kind of a positive pressure device. You need positive pressure building up to release air.

I will use the vented ones if still fermenting or if there is MLF still going on, but for long term storage, or barrel aging I would go with the solid one. Less risky.
Steve

Reviews of these don't seem to be very good. Seems to me like the one piece airlock with liquid of choice is MUCH more foolproof.

Latest posts

Back