variations in wine making formulas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeEyes

Junior
Reaction score
I am gathering data to create a spreadsheet / data source for the hobbiest wine makers and others.

What to use and minimum /maximum and with what ( IE tannin per gallon , sparkloid/bentonite or both ) % of teaspoon versus grams.

What not to use, lemon juice versus acid blends or equivelant ( guava reacts different than peach to lemons in the fermentor)

I have seen such a wide variation in the same recipes and how they are measured.:slp

Some say 20 cups per 5 gallons and the same type of recipe will say 4 lbs.

Not everyone has a scale and not everyone else may not measure a cupfull the same way ( IE brown suger fluffed or compacted , chopped fruits cupfull or ?# lbs ) fruit juices some have 100% fruit juice with or with out pulps some are 15 % real juice while others have a base mix of fructose corn syrup,

I know that the hygrometer is widely used to confirm the S.G. but some people dont have these ( even though they are cheap, some people do not have one localy to buy ).

I just thought I would try and create a data base / spreadsheet for substitutes and means to measure or calculate a recipe guide to help.:se

I may be wrong about this or maybe some one else has done this already.:a1

Just a thought , I could be way over my head in this indevor , any input would be welcome ......good or bad comments are welcome, I am open for suggestions:tz

I know that the hygrometer is widely used to confirm the S.G. but some people dont have these ( even though they are cheap, some people do not have one localy to buy ).

Hygrometer? Hydrometer.

Steve

I am all thumbs on a keybord , I need bigger keys or smaller fingers and as of lately my fingers are not gettimg smaller

I meant keyboard getting

Last edited:
I use a proprietary spreadsheet. Can't share it unfortunately.

There Is, in my opinion, no "recipe" in winemaking like there is in brewing. You have to know your chemistry and stability variables and go from there. Sure, you can calculate ameliorations and acid adds, but they are only a baseline. You have to taste and have vision for your end product and know your production capabilities.

Latest posts

Back